I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sage Tournement Bass Series??
Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.)
Date: September 18, 2008 02:24PM

Sage has introduced two new fly rods for tournament bass fishermen. Both are 7'11" in length so they confirm to most bass fishing tournament rules. Has anyone here tried one or built one from a bare blank? How well do they work being that short and that stiff??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sage Tournement Bass Series??
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: September 18, 2008 04:08PM

Interesting market move.

I'd be interested to know how many guys are using fly rods in tournaments. I know it's not common in SC. Well, not any tournament I've been in anyway.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 18, 2008 05:12PM

It's not common primarily because of the length restriction. It's poised to become much more common. Sage won't be the only commercial maker introducing fly rods and blanks for the length restriction limits in tournament bass fishing this year.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: September 18, 2008 10:30PM

I hear what you're saying, but is this a case of manufacturers CREATING a new market or is it driven by demand?

I don't see guys tinkering with rods to make 7'11" fly rods to use in tournaments. Maybe it occurs, but I just haven't seen it happening with any kind of regularity.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: George Forster (71.237.22.---)
Date: September 18, 2008 10:42PM

I don't fish for bass, but I can see where a fly rod would definitely have its uses. Flies don't sink as fast as other lures, giving a fisherman the option of a much slower retrieve. Also, becuase they don't sink so quickly (or at all) they might tend to get tangled in the weeds less. I would think that a fly rod could be another techinique-specific tool, to be used when conditions demand. Dave Whitlock has been espousing the benefits (and fun) of using fly rods on bass for decades.

Posted by: joseph arvay (---.sub-75-206-248.myvzw.com)
Date: September 19, 2008 03:32AM

Hey, I love flyrodding for bass, but I think this whole TX flyrod thing is more an attempt to create a market. Couldn't actually think of any local TX'ers who would ever consider using a flyrod for competitive fishing. When the money is on the line, there just isn't enough advantage (if any at all) to be dealing with flytackle. Interesting idea by Sage, just don't see this working out the way they envision it. Competition is about effectiveness and the tools must reflect that, fly tackle just isn't going to cut it on that one. No doubt they'll pony up the $$$ for some ad and sponser exposure, but in the end it'll be failure overall.

I, however, am not a TX guy so therefore will enjoy the somewhat less effective, yet wholly satisfying endeavor of catching bass on flytackle!

I almost think Sage and others will do themselves a disservice on this one and make flytackle look bad just by comparison to other types and techniques. Heck, part of the fun is actually in the inefficiency of fly casting and even when one isn't catching, the fishing is entertaining and satisfying.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: September 19, 2008 01:01PM

I would just love to see those boys swinging 3 pound bass in the boat with a fly rod!!!!!

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.sip.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 19, 2008 01:03PM

Peter - imo they work exceptionally well in combination with the line that is part of the combo. In fact I think the lines for each model is a big part of the secret sauce. The rod that I've used is a "shooting machine" for big flies in the 60' range. btw, the Smallmouth is often said to be an "8wt". The grain weight of the Smallmouth line is actually ~ to 11wt in AFTMA standards. (Matching ERN and ELN, what a concept).

One of my fishing buddies bought the Smallmouth, but not for tournament Bass fishing. He (we) were interested in it's application to inshore/bay fishing, specifically chasing Snook under mangroves and docks. I was also interested in using it for Shoal Bass river fishing where accurate delivery of big flies short distances and fish fighting power are critical. Weighing less than longer rods for equivalent power is a bonus for my old arm.

I'm not sure how the concept will work out for tournament Bass fishing, but there might be other unintended markets where the idea will stick. I know that there are builders and guides in SW FL that have used "non-fly fishing" blanks to get the characteristics they needed. The Sage blanks imo execute the concept exceptionally well by design and will be in demand. Will the demand be sufficient to keep them coming? I'm not sure but the early signs are pretty good. My favorite local fly shop can't keep them in stock.

marc - not only will they lift a 3lb Bass, they will turn a 24+' Snook before she can wrap you around a mangrove and tie an anchor knot with your leader.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2008 01:13PM by Steve Rushing.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2008 01:22PM

I don't doubt that they would be fun to fish with....but I don't see them being legal for many tournaments. If you look closely at the rules for most tournament organizations they specificy casting and spinning type rods/reels less than 8' in length. This was all to stop jiggerpolling, but sinceit says casting and spinning I would say Fly is out.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: September 19, 2008 03:35PM

I believe that the 8 foot rod limit is dying out, no FLW promoted event including BFL, Strens, FLW Series, or FLW Tour have any rod limits at all. I have never competed in a tournament that had a rod length limit, I have a club tournament on Fontana in January and I plan on having a Float N Fly rod in the boat.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 19, 2008 04:19PM

I believe that Steve Gardner recently build a fly rod specifically for targeting schooling bass in tournaments. I got to believe if Steve's doing it, there's a valid reason for it.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 19, 2008 10:51PM

I don't know, I was about to drop a ton on a TXL for bream and trout when I can make the 120 mile drive once a month, but now I am thinking of cutting a few corners on it and getting one of these as well. I live in Brinkley AR and there is far more bass fishing in my area than anything else, Also Catfish but I hate fishing for them. Just a thought, how many here have caught a 3 pound catfish on a 3 weight fly rod and a #14 wooly bugger. Lots of fun, only catfish I ever was happy to catch. But I would love a shorter fly rod capable of throwing larger flies. All of my favorite rods are in the 8 foot range.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: September 22, 2008 01:18AM

Mike - Here's what you mentioned. Very task specific - not general use. Never heard an outcome.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 22, 2008 06:33PM

Technically flipping sticks are not casting or spinning rods either, same with pitching sticks. But the fact is you cast a fly rod.

Specifically with a flipping rod you pull the line out with your hand then use the rod to get the bait to your target.
With a fly rod you pull the line out with your hand then use the rod to get the bait to your target.

I realize fly rods have developed there own kind of classification. But in reality they are casting rods whose reels operate similar to what it considered a “casting reel”
(I'll pobably get lynched for that comment)

The tournament rules pretty much state you use casting rods and reels, or a spinning rods and reels. The intent was that rods with reels are to be used in tournaments. Not cane poles with the line tied on the end, or jigger type poles but a pole with a mechanical type of device (the reel) to let out or retrieve line. To my knowledge they were never intended to exclude fly rods with reels

If you read the links that Alex posted? Then you know I was building a fly for a specific task.
While I was still kicking the Idea around, I went to see Mr. Kirkman about something and while I was there I told him my intentions and I asked him if one day when he had the time would he mind teaching me how to cast a fly rod?

He immediately took me out back and proceeded to give me a lesson. During which I was telling him that one of the biggest challenges to chasing schooling bass. Was that they would come up in a spot and before you could get the line reeled back in and cast back out. They would go down only come up several feet to yards from there.

That is when I learned the MOST valuable tip with using a fly rod for chasing schooling bass. Mr. Kirkman told me and I quote to the best f my memory that.
“The best thing about the fly rod is you don’t have to reel it back in to cast. Just whip it in and back out in a split second even if they came up behind you, you could just flip it behind you and start working your bait”

It was at this moment that I know I had a winner with this idea. That it would only be a matter of time before people started picking up on it. Then eventually a pro would use it to win a major tournament. Eventually every bass angler would have to have one.

Sage may just be far enough ahead of the game on this one that they snag the market, at least to start with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2008 10:28PM by Steve Gardner.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster