I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need a little help - - -
Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.mclnva23.covad.net)
Date: September 17, 2008 01:36AM

I'm hoping somone can suggest blanks that would meet the following specs:

1) 6'6", Pinnacle Ti-66 CMAH, 10-17lb, 1/4-1oz, Medium-Extra Fast, Silstar Series (1pc)

2) 7', Pinnacle Ti-70CA, 8-15lb, 1/4-5/8oz, Medium-Fast Tip, Silstar Series (1pc)

Any advice, comments, or suggestions would surely be appreciated.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need a little help - - -
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: September 17, 2008 09:48AM

Russ, you're not getting soft on os now are you ? L0L

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 28, 2008 11:03PM

What's the point?

Because as soon as someone says "I can get a rod like that from Cabelas/BassPro for $XXX".my answer is exactly the same as someone who substitutes "Wal Mart" in that sentence - "then go buy it there and catch fish and be happy". And the conversation is over. We have learned the hard way that people who come to us for a custom rod and say that, actually want us to build them a custom rod "just like the XXXX model I saw in (Wal Mart, Cabelas, or Bass Pro), but actually, for a cheaper price. Since we build Calico Creek Rods, not "XXX-brand" rods, there's no point is continuing the discussion. Same as if someone says "I want a rod just like the XXX-brand my buddy has". Then go buy one. We're not in the business of copying or reproducing someone else's rods, especially for something less than the off-the-shelf price.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 17, 2008 05:18PM

I would think you could match any of those with something in the Batson Forecast or similar line.

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: September 17, 2008 09:10PM

Uncle Russ.......Go with the Forecast blanks from Batson and you can make far better sticks than the Pinacles and you are not being a copy cat..... In other words "More Bang For The Buck" and you more than likely will steer this customer away from store boughts and put a fine Calico Creek built rod into their hands, then and only then if the customer continues with cost compared to quality invite him to continue down his path to the store selling those Pinacles. " Oranges to oranges , apples to apples "

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 20, 2008 11:32PM

Fred - this customer bought these two rods for a Jr. bass circuit. He high-sticked both of them and of course broke them at the tips, and when we examined them one also broke again about six inches further back than that. He had originally come to us for one of our sticks built to his specifications but within our design and while he had to learn to cast a bit differently with it, he's has won three tournaments with it. I'm sure he still high-sticks his hooksets because that's the only way he knows, or wants to know - you are "supposed to look that way" in his world. But so far, he hasn't been able to break it - and he's famous amongst his crowd for doing that.

He now is being scouted for some sponsorships from a semi-pro circuit and he cannot be seen obviously using one of our rods. He MUST have something that looks like what his crowd finds acceptable. So much so, that we're required to strip the guides off the Pinnacles and use them for the new rods.

So, I don't have much choice on this one (or two). I have to make these rods pretty much match the Pinancles. You're right, left up to me, there's no way I'd "copy" anything, but after all, we take the work that comes in the door and sometimes, this is what you have to do. The challenge is to do it the very best we can, just as we would with one of our own designs.

So, I'll investigate the Batson rods and maybe some others and come up with the best stick that matches the action. That's actually gonna be the hardest part of this commission.

Thanks, though. You're right, but I'm sort of stuck with this one

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2008 05:22PM by Russ Pollack.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster