I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trilobal polyester
Posted by: Barton Barry (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 14, 2008 06:57PM

Anyone have any experience with Coats and Clarke Trilobal polyester? I tried it, Used 2 good coats of CP and it still got dark on me. It was lime green,canery yellow and tangerine over a black underwrap...It came out darker,slightly translucent(not bad) and somewhat splotchy...Am I just using the wrong product thread wise or can this thread work?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trilobal polyester
Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 14, 2008 07:11PM

It almost sounds like you did not pack the threads tight and also did not burnish the threads. After I color coat I lightly re-pack and lightly burnish, (becareful packing and burnishing the thread is now soft and well move all over.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: September 14, 2008 07:41PM

Any time that you're going to use those light colors over a black underwrap you could put 8 coats of color preserver on it and you're wrap will still come out dark.

Posted by: Denis Brown (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 14, 2008 08:00PM

Not familiar with the particular brand but the trilobal here in OZ is not a good product for rod binding as it is made with some sort of resin in the thread to keep the thread compact & not flatten in sewing operations, which does not handle burnishing very well as it flakes in the burnishing.
DenisB

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 14, 2008 08:08PM

I use trilobal often and have had no problems (I do use CP) Like has been already said, pack very tight and don't expect miracles with light over dark. Use 2 or 3 coats of CP (I think that Chromaseal from Andy Dear has the best color retention)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.247.31.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 14, 2008 09:11PM

About all I use these days is the C&C trilobal. Been using it for several years, and never had any fisheye type problems. I think the other guys hit it - you really can't do well with light threads over dark blanks, and you have to make sure it is packed tight.

Posted by: George Forster (71.237.22.---)
Date: September 15, 2008 01:43AM

I've used the C&C Spark Gold on dark green blanks (Go Packers!), and they turned out really nice. I packed meticulously after every 4 or 5 turns, and I used 3 coats of Flex Coat CP. I did not burnish. I finished with 3 coats of Perma Gloss.
That trilobal is a 40 wt, roughly comparable to size A thread. If your underwrap is size A, you may have issues with the overwrap settling into the grooves of the underwrap, which would make it very difficult to pack tightly.

Date: September 15, 2008 02:03AM

I eliminated my over wrap threads from going between the under wrap threads is by wrapping the over wrap in the opposite direction. I flip the rod. I have at times, have my top wrap threads come from the bottom side instead of going over the top. An other solution is to apply a thin coat of finish on to the under wrap thread, let set for 24 hours then wrap over.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Barton Barry (---.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 15, 2008 01:43PM

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try packing better. This was on a crosswrap design over a black underwrap, i really dont know why i underwrapped it, It isn't really nessecary. Thanks guys.

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.sa.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 15, 2008 07:20PM

I have to disagree very strongly with you Denis. Check out the photos in my gallery and you'll see that 90% of the wraps have been done with Mettler Polysheen (trilobal polyester) and Madeira. I don't see too many problems. Do you? Why is our thread any different to anywhere else in the world?

Regards
Mark
Outback Rods

Date: September 15, 2008 11:14PM

This may help try doing more threads at a time. I also use a dab of CP on the first cross wrap just at the junksion of the first single thread
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster