I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Boiling Water Impact on Cork
Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 30, 2008 09:50AM

I am thinking about trying to remove a nickel silver reel seat (Struble U20) from a fly rod using boiling water. Rod Bond holds it in place. I've read many posts on the process, and about the use of a plastic bag to protect the wood insert. In my case I don't care about damaging the wood insert, but would like to leave the cork grip in place. Ideally, I'd like to be able to re-install the U20 seat with a different wood insert. It would actually be advantageous if the hood inside the cork would remain in place as to not disturb the cork. This removal seems full of risk - mainly risk of damaging the cork, which is of more value than the blank.

After reading the posts on boiling off reel seats, I've decided that I don't need to wrap the seat in a plastic, but will the boiling water have a negative impact on the cork grip, which includes a couple of rings of Exotic Burl?

Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Boiling Water Impact on Cork
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 30, 2008 11:23AM

Jeff,

I have done a couple of the boiling water tricks, and what your trying to do is kinda simple.

After your water is boiling, only dip the bottom half of the reel seat in the water, it takes several minutes for the heat to soften up the rod bond.
If you can have someone help you by holding on to the blank as you pull and twist, get the first half off then work on the insert.
It will come off much easier if you split or cut deep with an Exacto knife, remember go slow and easy, if you do it right the insert will come out from underneath the front part of the reel seat.
The cork will not get hurt by the steam or boiling water as long as you don't keep it under the water for very long.
REMEMBER GO SLOW AND EASY. you will do just fine. If all else fails a Struble dealer can sell you a cork replacement for the front hood or you can make your own.
One last thought depending on how old or how much dirt or corrosion there is on the reel seat it may discolor a little or a lot, it shouldn't but it may.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster