I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cabelas Blanks
Posted by: Desmon Carl (---.iland.net)
Date: August 27, 2008 03:16PM

I was at a local Cabelas over the weekend. I was told from a "pro" that cabelas rods are on loomis blanks. I believe it was the XML rod. He did not know what loomis blank it was. Just inquiring on his accuracy?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cabelas Blanks
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 27, 2008 03:38PM

At one time G. Loomis made the Fish Eagle blanks for Cabelas, but these were not Loomis blanks - they were made by Loomis for Cabelas. Make sense?

Once in a while a company will use the maker's own blank line, but often the blank maker will produce a line of blanks for the seller to a completely different line of specs than what the maker offers under his own label.

Generally the Cabelas blanks have been good and offer a good value.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 27, 2008 04:17PM

Cabela's blank are a pretty good value although, like Tom said, they may be made in the Loomis (or numerous other factories) to their specs. Many, if not most, manufacturers make OEM blanks for other companies. That is how they keep their factories going.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 27, 2008 05:54PM

I hope that the Pro did not imply that all of the Cabellas store brand rods sold in the Cabellas store were constructed on Loomis blanks. A very very small percentage of fishing rods sold at Cabellas will be constructed on a blank made in the Loomis manufacturing facility in Woodland, Washington.

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chi2ca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 27, 2008 06:55PM

Correct me if I am wrong on this but here goes.....G. Loomis was owned originally by Gary Loomis, Gary was a mastermind of graphites...
He sold part of his warehouse to Shimano but not the Loomis name {Shimano could not put the G.Loomis name on their rods} at a later date Gary Loomis sold G. Loomis to a couple of his employees which after awhile did not work out for the new owners and Gary Loomis in turn sold name and all to Shimano' and they may be making blanks and or rods for anybody at this stage of the game. It is my feeling that any of the G.Loomis blanks are not anything like the blanks Gary Loomis sold.....Gary Loomis and his G.Loomis line was a class act from the very first day he left Lamiglas to venture on his own.....Too bad the product is not the same....All of the above is my opinion with some facts known by myself but maybe not everything.

I understand that Gary is working under the G.Loomis/Shimano name in a goodwill type of spokesman at sportsmans type shows, and spending alot of his time on his love of saving the steelhead and I wish him the very best in this endever.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Simon Oakley (210.1.222.---)
Date: August 27, 2008 07:31PM

What I understood Gary Loomis sold out completely to Shimano but they keep him running the place (G Loomis).

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 27, 2008 08:31PM

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 27, 2008 08:39PM

Gary sold part interest in G. Loomis, Inc. to Shimano after he was required to pay off the investors in the Loomis golf shaft division. Shortly thereafter, he sold the remaining interest to Shimano. He continued to work there as a spokesman and consultant for several years. He took full retirement from G Loomis, Inc., just this past year.

The very first blanks G. Loomis, Inc. ever made were for Cabelas. That goes all the way back to about 1982. He had a good business relationship with Cabelas for at least 2 decades. It was the initial orders from Cabelas that allowed him to start G. Loomis, Inc. in 1982.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 27, 2008 08:51PM

Gary Loomis is president of both Oregon and Washington CCA and has been putting a great deal of effort into getting this organization off of the ground in the two states with the objective of saving the Oregon and Washington Salmon and Steelhead. I was never been much of a fan of Loomis rods or blanks but as a result of having attended several of the CCA presentations that he has been giving all over the two states I have become a big Gary Loomis fan. He is a very effective speaker and organizer and is working very hard to save the threatened Northwest Salmon and Steelhead.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.airband.net)
Date: August 28, 2008 12:05AM

I first met Gary at the Can-Am Outdoors show in Buffalo many, many years ago. I met him again at the Cobo Hall Outdoors show, and at the first "Classic Rod" show in Grayling, Michigan (goodness, that's a long time ago), and I continued to see him at various shows where I went as a staff member of a tackle and guide shop in 1979 and into the early 80's. One of the first questions I heard him answer was why he called his rods "Composites" instead of graphites and he very patiently explained it was because they were made from several materials in addition to graphite, so from an enginering standpoint they were a composite material.

At one of the shows he literally gave me a 7' flyrod blank to "try and see what you can make of it". I made a 5-6wt on it. I still have it and will rebuild it in the near future. It is nothing like the Loomis blanks of today. It's seen a lot of blue ribbon water and a lot of blue ribbon fish.

He was, and continued to be, a class act. His business ups-and-downs didn't diminish the man, and I can only wish good things for him.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster