I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrap color help needed
Posted by: Jim Johns (---.boeing.com)
Date: October 30, 2002 09:39AM

I just got my hands on a really nice Lamiglas Perigee blank (PW72L) as well as several St. Croix Legend Elites (two 5C66MF and one 5S66MF) at very good prices. I love the color of the Perigee -- very pretty! I'll be building two spinning rods and two bass casting rods for my own personal use.

I've never built on a green blank before. Therefore, I'd love to hear from you folks who have worked with green blanks as to what would make a nice color combination. I prefer just one color + one trim band. I had a friend suggest Dark Green with Gold trim. I'm open to any suggestions, even unusual ones.

Thanks for the help -- Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrap color help needed
Posted by: leo roberts (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 30, 2002 10:13AM

I never used a green blank either, and you didn't say what shade of green but, a nice purple with pearl white accent sounds like a winner. Color is a matter of personal choice to a large extent, although some color combinations seem to work for just about everyone.

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.coos.k12.or.us)
Date: October 30, 2002 10:29AM

5896 Green....

It looks great on the Rainshadow green blanks...should look great on yours as well.

Gold would probably be a nice trim.

Posted by: Nick Brunetti (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: October 30, 2002 11:05AM

yup, I used Green 5896 as well with Gold HT 9396 trim. Came out very nice. I don't know if you like attention getting color or subdued class but if I did another one I might stick with the 5896 and add a flourecent green trim or on the other extreme maybe chestnut with tan trim?

Posted by: Mark Janeck (---.systems.cogeco.net)
Date: October 30, 2002 11:32AM

I'm a big fan of using a complimentary colour for wraps, and so far I like Gudebrod Chestnut on the SCIV green blanks, either with gold or silver trim wraps depending on the hardware.

Without CP, the chestnut turns a darker burgundy colour that's nice against the green, very subtle but lights up nicely in the sun (http://www.pbase.com/image/3201573 )

And with CP it stands out more but still looks nice I think.
( [www.pbase.com] ).

Both of these examples are SCiv blanks.

Best Fishes,
Mark

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (12.30.122.---)
Date: October 30, 2002 12:24PM

Did my two LE's with the 5896 green but with silver trim to pick up the silver highlights in the reels used on these rods.

Posted by: Larry R. Tysinger (64.43.224.---)
Date: October 30, 2002 01:43PM

I've used green blanks many times as I paint blanks to be different.

Blue 245 is hard to beat with a green blank, with red, gold, yellow or silver bands. When the blue is coated, it looks smart and out of the ordinary. Two colors of green can clash.,

Larry Tysinger

Posted by: Rod Sienkiewicz (---.uninets.net)
Date: October 30, 2002 03:26PM

Try #206 garnet with #521 HT metallic gold trim. Looks great on a green blank.
Rod.

Posted by: Gerald w. McCasland (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 30, 2002 04:19PM

Teal with Ncp trim looks good on the Legend Elite blanks, but so does charcoal grey with copper trim.

Gerald

Posted by: Rick Koontz (---.lubrizol.com)
Date: October 30, 2002 05:22PM

Jim,

I like the dark green with a spring green or metallic green trim for the Rainshadow blanks. On the Perigee the dark green with metallic green or old gold works well. The gold I used is one of the ones that is marked with an asterisk in the catalog as not being HT. For the SC4 a pewter metallic looks nice. In fact the pewter metallic looks nice on almost any blank.

If you want to get fancy, I did a wrap on an SC2 a year ago. I used the medium or dark brown gudebrod for the main field. Then in the center of that wrap I did 1 wrap of HT pearl, 2 wraps of HT turquoise, and 1 wrap of pearl. I think it would look good with turquoise or metallic green for the center, and pearl or gold for the definition wraps.

Also, black is an option as is black/green classic twist.

Rick Koontz
rkoontz@andrew.cmu.edu

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 31, 2002 06:21PM

Light green with a gold trim band. If you are going to do a diamond wrap I would use one of the Sulkey threads in green or light green as an underwrap and use Gudebrod for the diamonds or chevrons.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster