I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Repair
Posted by: jerry grauman (---.i-america.net)
Date: October 29, 2002 07:56PM

I am looking for information on how to repair a broken gloomis rod, broke in two. Or tell me if I am wasting my time
Anybody know of any sites on the net that address repairs rather than building.

I have built some rods and can wrap and stuff.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Repair
Posted by: Aurthur Mercer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 29, 2002 08:02PM

I believe it is the Jan/Feb 2001 issue of RodMaker magazine that had a full length feature article on how to repair rods that had been broken in half. Obviously they can be repaired, if you know how.

You could check the magazine's website to see if they still have any of those left as back issues. Their link is on the upper left.

Posted by: patrick lacefield (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 29, 2002 08:08PM

i ruined one here while back with a lighter, about 15 inches from the tip unfortunately there was no hope for it... fortunately it was a all-star which is a advertiser at the left, they happen to read my delimma and promptly contacted me with a replcement blank with a great price. g-loomis also advertises at the left. contact them , you never know.

Posted by: Rod Sienkiewicz (---.uninets.net)
Date: October 29, 2002 08:08PM

Try flyanglersonline.com and go to ROD BUILDING and click on to ROD REPAIR. Shows how to repair a broken rod by Ralph O'Quinn a reprint of ana article in Rodmaker Magazine Jan/Feb 2000.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 29, 2002 08:40PM

Jerry --
You an try this link as well
[www.kensfishingrods.com]

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 29, 2002 08:56PM

Ralph's techniques are the ticket. They tend to be a bit different and more technical than what you'll find elsewhere, but they are the ones that seem to hold up the best. I do a few of these each and year and have to admit that some of his methods do make the impossible, possible. If the same Rodmaker article is available on line, then go for it.

One thing you need to be aware of though, is that it can be almost as easy to just get another blank and build a new rod. Just depends on how much time and money you have on your hands.

Posted by: George Thurston (207.50.90.---)
Date: October 30, 2002 03:33AM

GLOomis rods are warrented for life I would get in touch with a local Tackle shop that sells GLoomis to get it repaired or replaced or contact GLoomis direcdt. It will save you alot of grief now and in the future even more if it is for a customer

Posted by: Sanford Hochman (---.cape.com)
Date: October 30, 2002 07:07AM

Jerry,
I sent back a Loomis rod just yesterday for a replacement. While fishing, about 8 inches at the tip snapped off when I cast the rod. I won't be using Loomis balnks any longer. With my experience as well as others I have heard of, I will stick to St.Croix or CAlstar. They have provided me and my friends with the best results, and have held up under the worst of conditions. I assume from the conversations I have had with the Loomis people, they will replace the upper half of the two piece 8' rod.
I just hate going back to wrap again a rod I had wrapped before.
Sanford

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.WLDF.splitrock.net)
Date: October 30, 2002 09:29AM

I have built on hundreds and hundreds of Loomis blanks. In the past 20 years, I am only aware of one single defective blank I have received from them. A handful have been broken for sure, but nearly always due to fisherman error or abuse.

Loomis will replace that blank for some fee, or if the rod was new and they deem it defective you'll get another at no charge. Still, you are faced with rebuilding it and as Sanford mentioned, it's just a pain to have to go back and rebuild a rod or a section. I can really sympathize with this.

Repairing it is not only possible, but can be done in such a way that you really won't know the difference, other than some minor cosmetic differences in appearance where the break will have to be sleeved. An oversleeve is nearly always preferred on slim graphite rods. Gather the information you need and remember to measure accurately and fit your repair pieces very carefully.

If the rod is an older Loomis model that they aren't likely to have in stock anymore and cannot replace model for model, then you may want to go the repair route anyway.

Posted by: Dave Patterson (---.CLMB.splitrock.net)
Date: October 30, 2002 08:26PM

Go to the Loomis web site > They have a couple of different options for you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster