I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fruits of a long summers wire rod project
Posted by: Tony Childs (---.mi.dial.123.net)
Date: August 21, 2008 09:56PM

Sent a Ludington Michigan charter captain one of my latest wire line rod prototypes for some R&D and feedback. Apparently he was happy with the rod-check this link fish-[ludingtonsalmonfishing.com] . Sometimes those freebie rods actually pay off!! Emails came flowing in today. Yes, I am patting myself on the back, but also trying to illustrate that once in a while giving a rod away is some of the best marketing one can do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fruits of a long summers wire rod project
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: August 21, 2008 10:25PM

Way to go Tony !
I gave one away at an annual Festival on the 4th of July and got great responses from it.
That is a good way to get the information out there.

Posted by: steve stanfill (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: August 22, 2008 05:48PM

Good going Tony, looks like the R and D on wire lines is paying off for you. Keep up the good work and innovation.
Steve

Posted by: Tony Childs (152.72.151.---)
Date: August 22, 2008 07:56PM

It's been a long summer. Many trips to Ludington/Manistee, which is not a bad thing, but many times to find out that I only had a good rod, not a great rod. My goal is always to put serious distance between myself and the retail stuff. I don't offer a task specific rod until it is hands down better than whats available.Charter captains are the best source of testing. They are generally very hard on equipment physically and harder on equipment in their evaluations-their livelyhood depends on good equipment. I am not where I want to be on wire, but I now have a rod that I can put my name on. There is still lots of room for improvement. Any roller tip manufacturers out there want to own the wire rod fishery on the great lakes? I have some ideas for you. Right now the "Twilly tip" is king, and that is a sad day for us as rod makers. There are some great roller tips available, but they all fall short for the specific requirements of our fishery and demands on the Great Lakes. I know that we can do better than a door stop spring for tips on wire rods!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster