I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shrink Tubing
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: August 14, 2008 11:38AM

Since I don't think any of sponsors sell the treated shrink tubing, I'd appreciate if someone knows of another source.

I've been buying from soller and they are out of the 1.6" and the 2" isn't working for me.

Let me follow this up with saying John at Soller has been outstanding and I am very appreciative of him letting me know where things are with getting a new shipment in, but after 4+ weeks, he told me it's going to be at least another 2-3 weeks before they get it.

I really need to crank out some skinned grips! I plan to order more from him, but I just need another source.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shrink Tubing
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 14, 2008 12:46PM

You can sort of make your own - spray the inside of regular heat shrink tubing with the silicone release agent and let dry for an hour or so.

It won't work as well, but will work. Test it on a small piece so you'll know what to expect.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 14, 2008 01:54PM

Good idea Tom. BTW does anyone know of anywhere else to get this stuff? I want to find something between the 1.1 and 1.6" sizes Soller carries.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: August 14, 2008 01:56PM

Tom is right about making your own. I talked to Jon at Soller a while ago about getting some higher shrink ratio tubing so you could do a split grip with 2 cores and one sleeve, and that is what he told me to do. The standard 2-1 tubing doesn’t shrink enough to compress the sleeve in the bare blank area between the 2 cores, I found some 1.3 inch 3-1 shrink ratio tubing that works.

Date: August 14, 2008 02:14PM

ooohhh... where'd you find that Mike?

Posted by: Mike Adams (71.80.150.---)
Date: August 14, 2008 04:35PM

I called Soller yesterday and got the same story about shrink tubing. He said the rod building factor was larger than he expected. I didn't asked but should have, why aren't they a sponsor here?

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.coi.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 14, 2008 04:46PM

I know they've sold a lot of product due to the Rodmaker article. It's spreading like wildfire!

Maybe next time you call you will mention it to him. Could only help him sell even more.

Wonder if they might be a good one to come to the big show in NC next Feb.

Date: August 14, 2008 04:58PM

Yeah the 2" works great on a straight grip. When I'm tapering a handle, I need something smaller though.

I bet a lot rod builders are using the 1.6" size.

Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: August 15, 2008 08:54AM

As long as we are on the subject, I have a rod to repair that has a plastic handle with a thin (1/8") layer of cork over it. The cork is comming loose on the very end.

If I put shrink tube over the entire handle will that "suck in" and fix the problem??

I have made numerous shrink tuble covered grips but dont know if it is strong enough to repair the grip

Any help would as always be appreciated.

Vern

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 15, 2008 05:32PM

That would probably work, but the customer may not like the shrink tube covering.

Generally the tubing is pretty durable if you want to leave it as a final surface. A lot of surf rod builders use various types of shrink tubing to do that sort of thing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster