I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Metallic Thread Question
Posted by: Dennis Dixon (---.186-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 09, 2008 05:57PM

Hi Everyone,
I just started rodbuilding and this site has been a lot of help already. I am working on my first rod. It is a MudHole Kit - 7' 8-12# fast action spinning rod. I have the handle assembled and the rod tip on. I made some practice wraps on an old piece of rod that I had lying around and that went well with standard nylon thread. Then I tried with metallic thread. I find the metallic thread very hard to tie. It doesn't pull through smoothly, and I end up with ugly edges on my wraps. And once tied, it seems to come untied very easily. I didn't have any of these problems with nylon.

Does anyone have any tips on working with metallic thread? I am sure a lot of the problem is my technique, but is all metallic thread this hard to tie? I am using Gudebrod HT.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metallic Thread Question
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 09, 2008 06:09PM

Dennis, try a roll of Sulky Original Metallic, I found it easier to use. That said, with some time you'll be using metallics just like the nylon. The more you use it, the more you'll learn it's quirks and learn how to get around them. The more you build, the better you'll get with all the metallics and all the threads in general. Practice, I guess :-)

DR

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: August 10, 2008 02:17AM

When I use metallic thread I use as little tension as possible When it comes to pull thread I use a piece of monofilament a couple of sizes larger than the metallic, this well help the metallic ro pull threw. When the metallic is under a couple of threads I pul the metallic tight and cut it off leaving enough tag so when I pull it through it well slide under 5 threads. I hope this post makes sense.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: August 10, 2008 08:21AM

Most of my rods are done with metallics, I use both Gudebrod and Sulkey. Don't use as much tension as you do with nylon. I don't know what you mean by tying? If you're talking about the pull through make sure you have at least three wraps or more over your pull through. I find tension must be added as you cut off your tag end after you make your pull through. Keep practicing and good luck.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: August 10, 2008 08:41AM

Clip the tag so that you are pulling a very short tag with your tie off loop. The longer the tag, the more twist you put into into it when you pull it through. The extra twist wreaks all sorts of havoc on metallic thread. That said, I like to leave enough (1") of a tag that I can pull on it if I have to pack or adjust the thread wrap. Trim the tag after everything is packed, burnished, aligned.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2008 10:05AM by George Forster.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 10, 2008 02:24PM

Listen to Bob, Sam and George! I use predominately metallics and pretty much do it like they said. When you get towards the end, back off a little on the tension and make the wrap over the pull loop a little longer than for regular thread.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: August 10, 2008 02:57PM

Mike! I some times make my tag thread a little longer so when I pull it threw. I well have just enough thread to grab onto an chinch it tight. Then when I go to cut it off I pull the tag end over the wrapping thread this way when the tag end is cut flush the wrapping thread well cover the tag end. Another trick, is when pulling, the tag end threw, I pull the tag a few degrees off center. I never pull. My tag thread straight back. I do this with all types of thread. Always pack and burnish.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 10, 2008 04:23PM

Bob, good ideas!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: les cline (---.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net)
Date: August 10, 2008 07:16PM

I tie in my pull thread close to (but not next to) the edge of the guide foot where the thread tension against the blank is less. After I get the metallic thread pulled I can snug it down by gently pulling away from the guide foot area. This is sort of like pulling it through at an angle as was mentioned or using less tension to start with.

Trying not to pull too much through at once is also a key.

Les

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 10, 2008 07:37PM

Another tip is to tension the thread by the spool not by running the thread through a tensioning device that will apply pressure to the thread itself causing the metallic wrap to unwind.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster