I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tired Of Being Hard Headed
Posted by: Chris Davis (216.186.210.---)
Date: August 07, 2008 12:22AM

Tonight I did my best finish work yet. Started using the basic finish application methods this site drills into my head, day in and day out. Quit painting it on, started hand turning, quit tinkering with it once it's on. I sure have been making it harder than it is. Nice when the light finally comes on.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tired Of Being Hard Headed
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 07, 2008 01:14AM

Been there,done that!!!! We all went through that.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: August 07, 2008 01:21AM

We use the drying motor and support but you're right, the hardest thing to do is put it on and then LEAVE IT ALONE for 24hrs.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: August 07, 2008 01:21AM

We use the drying motor and support but you're right, the hardest thing to do is put it on and then LEAVE IT ALONE for 24hrs.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Harold Dean (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: August 07, 2008 04:51AM

Chris. It took me a lot of builds and the same drumming into my head from the builders on this forum for it to sink in as well. Leave the stuff alone and let it do what it does best. Self-level.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: August 07, 2008 09:01AM

Took me a long time too. I'm the Poster Old Guy for "if a little works, a lot is better" mindset.

Posted by: floyd cashmore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 07, 2008 01:23PM

I'm learning the very same things myself. Another thing I recently purchased and am really impressed with is ThreadMaster. A combination of things making my life a little simpler.

Posted by: Darrell Diskey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 07, 2008 02:30PM

I listened to the experts, and after a couple rods, did very well with getting my epoxy work nice and level. Then I somehow managed to re-think it, re-engineer it, and was consistently messing it up and re-doing everything. Finally decided I'm not so smart after all, went back and re-read the posts on "leaving it alone," and got back to having some success! Honestly, I'm thankful for every screw up I made, because it made me go back to school and get focused--and understand at least some of the limits.

Posted by: les cline (---.dsl.ksc2mo.swbell.net)
Date: August 07, 2008 10:41PM

I tried the hand-turning technique after I wicked the sagging epoxy away. Worked great and really simple.

Hey, I might try that again.

Les

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster