I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly rod for daughter first fly rod
Posted by: Bill Hartlage (---.sip.sdf.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 27, 2008 09:40AM

My daughter wants to learn to fly fish. bought her a joan wulff dvd and trying to teach her. i want to build her a rod for xmas. thought a 6 wt would be a good all around rod. though she is 35 she is petite. should i go with a 8'6 or a 9 ft and use a smaller grip. she works for a vet and is strong enough to handle a larger rod but wonder if a smaller grip would be better suited for her .
any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

flyman bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly rod for daughter first fly rod
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 27, 2008 09:55AM

From a standpoint of ergonomics, most fly rod grips are already too small. I'd go with a larger grip and let her try it. If she finds it too large, you can always reduce the diameter. But if it starts out too small, you'll be hard pressed to put any material back on.

On length - I'd really suggest the 8'6". For all intents and purposes it will cast just as far for her and be a little easier to manage. Unless you need the 9 footer for more line mending, I'd stick with the 8'6". I think it'll make for a more pleasant experience for her after a long day on the water.

Date: July 27, 2008 10:14AM

thanks for info. thought you might suggest the 8ft 6. med fast action such as st croix sclll

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 27, 2008 10:34AM

I believe that beginners do better with faster actions. Just make sure you have a line on the rod that will load the rod easily at the distances she plans to fish. Fast action rods often get a bum rap when used with beginners, but only because the instructors don't really understand the realtionship of line length to line weight.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 27, 2008 12:45PM

Bill,
I think Tom is correct re fast vs slow for the beginner. 8'6" rod will feel lighter in the hand than a 9'. That is why I use an 8'6" for my #11 rod. But for a 5 or 6wt I think I would go with a 9'.
I have 9' 5 and 6wt Dan Craft rods, built on his FT blanks, already built that I would lend you and your daughter to try before you build. Ship them back to me when finished. I do not use them at all anymore, so time without them is not important. I have small hands and enjoy smallish grips - she can test this aspect also. Let me know if you need lines to test also.
email me with address if you are interested.

Herb

Date: July 27, 2008 01:39PM

Bill,
BTW - you did not say where and for what fishery you will be using rod. The DC FT are built for light saltwater use. A bit too much for trout. Although I did use the #6 for bluegills in Wi when a tornado blew us out of a bass river float trip. But at least they would give you a starting point. Of course I may be being presumptuous to assume that you do not have the same sort of tackle to try - if so sorry.
Herb

Date: July 27, 2008 10:06PM

thanks for info and advice and offer. I have 2 6wt rods and 2 5 wt rods ,actually3 6wt,found one last wk on bottom of stream. a 6 wt orvis trident with a battenkill reel. had been in water some time but cleaned up pretty well. will let daughter use till i make hers. she will prob. use for light salt when in fla. and hopefully I can get her out on cumberland for a trout outing. I will build a 6 and if she becomes addicted like dad ,a 8 wt.
I now own 12 or 13 rods from 4 wt thru 10. I like dan craft and st croix blanks esp the sciv. I built a 10 ft 6 for cumberland and a 9 ' 6" 5wt may build a spey rod and a short 2 or 3 for smokies. running out of options . 3 4wt, 2 5 wt., 2 6 wt a 7 , an 8 a 9 and a 10 wt and a 10 ft 8 for fla.

thanks for suggestions and offer of help. Fly fishermen are special people.

flyman bill

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: July 28, 2008 09:25AM

If possible I would suggest dropping by a fly shop that carries Winston rods and asking if they will let you measure the Joan Wulff model's grip. It has a full wells grip sized more appropriately for a woman's hand size and proportions. I've learned from family bicycling that small men's sizing doesn't always equate to correct women's sizing. I think the same is true for grips. I'll also measure a grip on one of my daughter's rods I built using this approach and post as a starting idea when I get home (and she left one here).

Date: July 29, 2008 09:41PM

Bill,
Which blank are you considering for the spey. And, ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT TRADITIONAL SPEY OR OVERHEAD CASTING? I AM GOING TO BUILD A 10'6" "SWITCH" ROD ON THE cts AFFINITY MX. I hate when that happens with the caps key.
Herb

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: July 30, 2008 09:08PM

BILL...

After teaching hundreds of successfula nd happy customers, I concur with what TOM K Said in terms of action and length. The old adage of faster actions rods are harder for beginners is @#$%&; just being blunt. I have had much more success with all types of folks utilizing faster action rods that slower action rods.

Get her some "GOOD" casting instruction as well as a good flyline and not one from Walmart. A flyfisherman may have been flyfishing for 30 years and is a good fisher, but he/she may have absolutly no idea on the concept and how to instruct it. Plus, he/she may not have the ability to identify errors and how to correct them.

My .02, and good luck.

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster