I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex coat part A
Posted by: vaughn darmer (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: July 20, 2008 06:27PM

What causes flex coat part A resin to turn milky white, and form small
lumps . Has happened to me twice. This morning I used a lighter to
heat the finnish and the small lumps disappered. I quess this means the
resin is no longer good!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex coat part A
Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 20, 2008 06:42PM

No, it's still fine. That's just the resin crystallising from being unused over a long time, and subject to temperature variations in storage. As you saw, it is restored to its liquid state by heating. Gently warming the bottles in a microwave or in a little tub of warm water will get it back to a fully usable state.

Don't heat it too much (nix the lighter), and before you mix give both components a chance to cool off a bit. The extra heat accelerates the curing process when the components are mixed. Heat them, let them cool slightly, mix, then spread out on foil. It'll be fine: the same thing happened to me last week.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 20, 2008 07:45PM

Like Ted said!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Ed Sabatini (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 20, 2008 09:44PM

I've had to heat mine several times to get it back to useful condition. LIke the others said, it won't hurt it a bit. I've yet to see anything harmful or wrong with any of the epoxy resin I've heated to return it to good forum. It works just it did originally.

Watch out for any flecks that might not get melted back into the mixture!! I had some one time that didn't go back into solution and had little crystals turn up in some of my wraps. Turned out to be those crystalized flecks. Heat the epoxy resin long enough to make sure EVERYTHING goes back into solution.

Posted by: jack richardson (---.virtdom.com)
Date: July 20, 2008 10:15PM

I had a similar problem some time ago. Since then I set epoxy up on a block of wood;
then turn a hair dryer on it. I do this every time; even though my shop is heated in Winter'
and cooled in Summer. It seems to keep the epoxy in good shape; and fluid. I do this
first; and let the dryer run while I'm setting up rod dryer; and making other preparations.
I find this step useful for other tings too; like glue; varnish; paints; etc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster