I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

extending rod blank
Posted by: james gregory (---.propel.com)
Date: July 20, 2008 11:09AM

i would like to extend a 7 ft rod blank to 7 ft 6 in.i read Toms article on extending and it recommends making splice under the reel seat.is it safe to make splice under the rear grip that is 12 in long? if so,what is preferred wall thickness of aluminum or is heavy graphite acceptible.is there to much stress under the rear grip to make splice?by the way,blank is 7 ft mag bass,fast taper,fast tip,heavy power.i know,i know bass fisherman can tear up an anvil.thanks to all.jim g.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: extending rod blank
Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.99.newnanutilities.org)
Date: July 20, 2008 12:27PM

James, Before I learned this craft, I changed several of my own rods to a split rear grip. I also extended 3 of these rods rear grip length at the same time, making my spices at the rear grip. This was not the way to go as all 3 have failed. 2 broke on hookset and 1 on casting. If you are working with a blank, I would put the splice under the real seat, as Tom recommends. This will of course require that you have more than 6 inches of new blank to work with.

Un-hide your email address so we can email you directly.

Steve

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 20, 2008 12:54PM

No need if you're only doing a 6" extension. At that length your handle is long enough that the reel seat will still be on the original blank. The recommendation to put the join under the reel seat applies only if the desired handle length and the extension length coincide in such a way. That said, you could trim enough of the blank and the extend it back out to 7'6", but that's extra work for no benefit.

Date: July 20, 2008 02:11PM

steve,thanks for the come back and info.should be able to e-mail me now.thanks again,jim g.

Date: July 20, 2008 02:15PM

Steve,email address jbfarms@aristotle.net .

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 20, 2008 04:43PM

You could easily put the joint under the seat, even trim the blank shorter and build the entire handle, butt and seat, on the extension. I've done this many times. It ends up being a very good method for doing such.

Yes, a scrap piece of graphite will work. It should be as stout or stouter than the butt section on your current blank.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 23, 2008 01:35PM

James,
Tom is right in that if the splice is under the reel seat, you will have the strength of the reel seat, aid the joint.

However, if you make the splice so that you get a 3 inch over lap of a scrap piece of blank that goes OVER the butt section, it doesn't matter where the splice is.
If you have the extension, LARGER than the original butt section, the larger diameter is actually stronger than the original butt. By using a 3 inch overlap, you have a butt section that is actually stronger than the original blank, including the splice area.

Take care
Roger

p.s.
In contrast, if you use a pice of graphite scrap that is SM ALLER than the butt section and the extension in placed INSIDE the butt section, you will find that the extension is a bit weakert than the original butt.
However, for most rods, the size of the butt is such that you will get a sufficiently strong splice by going up the inside of the butt - unless it is a very light action rod with a very small diameter butt.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster