I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Jigging Blank Question
Posted by: Michael Kulick (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 17, 2008 01:56PM

Can anyone recommend some blanks simalar to the Shimano jigging rods. I am looking for light, small diameter blanks that can jig up to 6 oz for tuna. thanks and tight lines

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jigging Blank Question
Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: July 17, 2008 02:14PM

How short? I have GUSA jigging blanks in 6 & 7' Composite. [northeastrodbuilders.com] The top 4 rods bent on that page are all Jigging blanks. Here are the specs on these blanks: [northeastrodbuilders.com] - I think the 602 or 603 will work for a 6' rod, the 602 is a little light on the power side. FOr 7' blanks the 70 Mega-C and Wahoo Jr-C are ideal, [northeastrodbuilders.com] - the Wahooo Jr-Comp has been selling especailly well in a local Tuna tackle shop..

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 17, 2008 04:32PM

I have built and used several Super Seeker blanks and all are real nice. SSCJBF65H, SSCJBF70 and H and several other models. Love the action of these rods also feels like you can pull the bottom of the ocean up with them. I want to try a GUSA and ATC blanks as well. They all make nice stuff really!

Posted by: Walter Schmidt (---.doh.state.fl.us)
Date: July 17, 2008 05:00PM

Mudhole sells specific jigging blanks.

Smitty

Posted by: paul reyburn (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: July 17, 2008 08:50PM

the JIGGING MASTERS are like the shimano on steriods

light but with real power

very popular for serious jigging rods

NERBS

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 17, 2008 08:59PM

I just built a rod for a customer on one of the Mudhole Jigging blanks. The 6' 40-60# to be exact. In my opinion they are slightly underrated as the blank easily handles 60# line and a 20 pound weight. I was pleasantly surprised at how well these blanks were made.

I know this rod just got fished hard this past weekend (7/11-7/13) and need to follow up with my customer on how he liked it. I will post back as soon as I am able to find out.

Posted by: David Teague (---.sip.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 17, 2008 10:04PM

michael, I agree with everyone elses replies so far, I do a lot of butterfly jigging myself and the shimano tevala rods they use with their system have very little back bone..you'd have a bear of a time if you latched on to a tuna with a rod similar to theirs. I'd check out Seeker and Calstar for blanks in a 6'6 to 7ft 30-80# fast to extra fast action, i've found those lengths to work well in giving me the action I want on the jig and enough backbone for tuna and the occasional BIG jack bite.

Dave

Posted by: Mike Pedersen (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: July 17, 2008 10:06PM

I'll be rolling out my line of Jigging blanks in a few weeks. Extemely slim profile, fully parabolic and plenty of power. There are pics of a few I built on the approval blanks in my Gallery. The Red Spiral got a Thresher over 300lbs boat side and the knot broke on the 268gram Flatside jig solid ring. The Shorty's have landed many 100lb class AJ's and pulled some BIG Snowy Grouper from several hundred feet deep drops. Haven't had the oppurtunity for Tuna yet on them (aside from some football Blackfins) but plan on tackling a Giant Bluefin this winter on a Shorty with a Twinspin 30.

Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 18, 2008 05:30PM

I've been fishing three of the Mudhole blanks very hard this summer, and I'm very impressed with them. I did some trimming on them to shorten them up a little, 6 foot is just too long IMHO. 5'2" - 5'4" is more like it. For an economical blank, they perform great.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster