I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mounting Buttcap
Posted by: Jason Groombridge (---.dewr.gov.au)
Date: July 01, 2008 06:57PM

G'day Guys,

Just starting on another build and I'm using EVA for grips and an aluminium butt cap.

Is it OK to machine a tenon on the EVA and then mount the butt cup over the tenon? Or would I be better off to use drywall mesh tape to form an arbor under the butt cap?

Regards

Jason

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mounting Buttcap
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 01, 2008 07:16PM

I dont' do aluminum gimbals/butt caps very often, but I am afraid the EVA is too soft underneath. I don't know if anything bad will happen, but my assumption is that it might, I use graphite abors under my caps/gimbals, tehy seem a lot harder than teh FC arbors. Drywall is great, its' just a bit heavier.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: July 01, 2008 08:35PM

I'm with Billy on this one no eva tenon, aluminum gimbals/butt caps take a beating, belts, decks, sidewalks, you know the usual. If you need to build up under the butt cap I'd use graphite arbores.

Date: July 01, 2008 08:42PM

OK, Thanks guys.

This rod is a 8-17lb casting rod so is not really heavy, but I will take your recommendation and use an arbor or drywall tape. I guess my feeling was that I would need to anyway but I didn't know if I would get away with going over the EVA.

Thanks again for your advice.

Jason

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 01, 2008 08:52PM

Jason if this is a freshwater bass rod? and will have an aluminum butt cap and NO gimbal, you dont need anything. Make sure the blank goes all the way through the end of the tendon, have the EVA cut to fit your aluminum cap, make sure the end of the blank goes all the way to the base of the aluminum cap, and you'll be fine. Nothing else is needed. The blank will give the EVA support when needed just like if it were cork. If you're talking saltwater, you'd better listen to Billy.

DR

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 01, 2008 11:37PM

I'd say don't dothe teonon thing on the EVA. The EVA is too flexible for that kind of use.

Here's the two different solutions we've come up with for butt caps on an EVA grip:

1) Cut the EVA short, leaving enough space from the back of the EVA to the butt tip of the blank for the depth of the butt cap. Now make an arbor of cork, long enough and shaped to fit the ID of the butt cap. Slip the butt cap over the arbor, ream the arbor to fit the blank, and snug the butt cap assembly over the rod so it joins with the EVA, leaving no space or gap.

2) Don't use a butt cap at all. Use a large-flanged button, which has a stem that goes inside the blank and a rim or flange that covers most of the butt end of the EVA.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Date: July 02, 2008 12:03AM

Duane,

The rod is actually a saltwater rod, but the butt cap is one of the Renzetti ones from Mudhule with the hard rubber "ball" on the end, not a gimbal fitting. As the rod may be subjected to some reasonably large fish, I reckon I might use some form of arbour.

Russ,

I have some cork that I could use for an arbor so that may be a good option for me.

Thanks

Jason

PS There aren't any bass where I come from, not even Australian ones :-)

Posted by: Perrie Thomas (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 02, 2008 05:36AM

for a neat finish you can us a small tennon say a few mm long not as an arbour but purely to make the transition a neat one...i do it on my game rods when using an EVA rear grip...dry wall mesh for an arbour and tenon 5 mm on the end of the EVA slighly larger than the internal ID of the gimbal in this case and when glue is applyed it acts as a lubricant and alows the eva to slip into the top of the gimbal, give a nice neat transition / finish.

oh and no Bass mate ?!?! poor you, ill send you some if you want ??? ya just dont know what your missing...

Cheers Perrie

HOTRODS - Perrie Thomas Custom Rods
[www.perrieshotrods.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster