I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

(off topic) Wrap on que stick
Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 14, 2008 02:09PM

I know this is off topic!! However I know that some have or do wraps on que sticks.
A co-worker brought me a que stick that the thread has started to unravel. He wants me to fix it for him.
Question is what do you put on the que stick before you wrap the thred so it stays on the sick,so as it won't come unraveled again???
Thanks in advance for any and all help. <<<<DON>>>>

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: (off topic) Wrap on que stick
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 14, 2008 02:13PM

I have no experience with cue stixs. But I would say that you would do it the same way you do a rod. If I'm wrong, someone will correct me.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Robbie Smith (75.117.72.---)
Date: June 14, 2008 02:56PM

Wrapping a cue stick is the same concept as wrapping a rod except the thread is heavier such as size D, E, or EE. We do not produce anything over size D but we have plenty of E and EE thread in stock. This thread has not been treated with silicone so it will accept your finish. It was designed to produce cue sticks and horse saddles. Please let me know color choices and we will be happy to direct you to the nearest FishHawk distributor.

Thanks,

Robbie Smith
FishHawk Threads

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 14, 2008 04:34PM

I can assure you they are not the same as thread work on fishing rods.

Heavy Linen Twine with no finish and burnished in with oak clamps turned at high speed till they smoke!

I sell a rod for $ 200 Mike sells a cue for $2,500. Just a few blocks away to see his lathe skills is really a treat for a rodbuilder.

He seems to know when I sell a few rods and he calls me to match up in one pocket - somebodys' gonna get busted quick!

While you are on his site take a look at the inlays - These guys are artists too!

Click on Jensen

[www.proficientbilliards.com]

Posted by: woody osborne (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 15, 2008 04:27AM

i am not a cuebuilder but do happen to know some and i have wrapped a few. when wrapping a cue, you need to put a layer of elmer's glue/ white glue in the wrap groove. i would say stay away from epoxy or any long lasting / permanent type of adhesive. the elmers is very sufficient. put a thin layer all over the groove then do the wrap. some builders start the wrap like rodbuilders and others prefer to take a very small drill to make a hole to start the wrap. if doing the drill routine. wet the end of the wrap with epoxy and let it dry in a straight line. you can get a great deal more info on azbilliards. by the way, if you do decide to go with the drill bit you may ought to make sure the owner approves. we get really hot about our cues. hope this helps. you can get enough irish linen to wrap a cue, i am just not sure where. atlas billiards does sell single cue packs. email me if you need to. reelcues@yahoo.com

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 15, 2008 03:50PM

Thanks for the feed back.I will be using the elmer's glue to hold the short run of loose thread.Then for the short gap between the thread and were the inlays start,I think I'll use (A) thread with a lite coat of epoxy.

Again thanks.<<<<DON>>>>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster