I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ferrule material question
Posted by: C. Royce Harrelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 12, 2008 01:48PM

A neighbor of mine decided to make a two peice rod from a casting rod (abu garcia) using the following proceedure. After cutting the rod, he used a peice that he cut from a fiberglass telescoping fishing pole for the ferrule. He wants me to reattach the guides and wrap the ferrule. He attached it to the tip section with polyester resin (I don't percieve a problem there) to allow it to slip over the butt section.

I checked the contact area, and it's very close to 100% contact. I have flexed it rather far and heard no noises. Shook it vigorously and it felt good. My concern is that the fishing pole is what seems to me as pretty thin wall material. This is not something that I would have to warranty (just neighbor helping neighbor) however if there may be a problem with his choice of ferrule material, I would like to forewarn him.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2008 02:21PM by C. Royce Harrelson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ferrule material question
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 12, 2008 02:26PM

Royce,

Looks to me like he has read Ralph O'Quinns tutorial in the libray section. He has used the correct material for his ferrule. You always want to use a material with less modulas than what the actual blank is made. You want to make sure you wrap the ferrule as close to the edge as you can, and extend it at least twice the diameter of the blank at that point. This is to help strengthen and guard against any splits. Other than that it sounds like a sound adaptation.

Bill in WV

Date: June 12, 2008 02:39PM

Hi Bill, thanks for the input. No he did not read anything, just tried to simulate the ferrule on an ugly stick. I would not have had any concern it he had used a rod for the material. I was just a little afraid that the fishing pole may have been too thin.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 12, 2008 03:31PM

You want to use a lower modulus material only if you're using an oversleeve - this offsets the increase in stiffness that the larger diameter would otherwise create.

What type of ferrule are we talking about here - oversleeve or spigot?

Date: June 12, 2008 04:55PM

This would basically be an oversleeve. He cut a peice and adhered the small end of the taper to the tip section of his rod, and slides the large end of it over the the butt section to assemble the rod. It is basically a tip over butt ferrule, except that an additional peice was attached to the tip section in order to make it such. As mentioned, if he had use a peice of rod blank, I would not have had a concern, but the bream pole (I think that is what they are called) just seemed awfully thin. Maybe i'm worried over nothing.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 12, 2008 05:17PM

He went about it the right way. The ferrule need not be super strong - in fact, if it's much stronger or stiffer than the blank you'll most likely have a failure. You want something that will flex at about the same rate as the blank.

Without seeing it I can't tell you what to expect but unless that's a very heavy power casting rod you may very well be perfectly fine.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 12, 2008 09:44PM

I've done it a few times repairing broken rods to give to kids, and they hold up just fine. Like I said before, just to be safe wrap the ferrule. Twice the diameter of the blank at that point would be good, unless you want a longer one for aesthetic purposes.

Bill in WV

Date: June 12, 2008 11:27PM

Thanks guys, I guess I was being overly cautious, Tom, it's not a heavy rod, lure rating is 1/4 to 3/4 oz.

Again, thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster