I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Kid's rod questions
Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: June 12, 2008 07:38PM

I am going to build a couple of spinning rods for my children. I am thinking of using Batson E-glass blanks, cut down from 6' to 4'.
What is the best way to cut a fiberglass blank?
Is 4' a good length for 4 and 5 year olds?
What's the formula for estimating rod diameter at different points along the blank?
Any advice?
Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kid's rod questions
Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 12, 2008 11:47PM

Cut them from the butt - i.e., cut 2' off the butt. This will preserve the action of the rod. Actually, I'd have started with a 5' blank and left it at that length - perfect panfish rod, if you get the lightest-line and lure spec you can find. You want a little "wand" for them so they can feel the bluegill and bream @#$%& on their worms, or so they can feel the fish fight after they hook them under a bobber. 5' is a better length, I think. I built several for my daughter at that age and they enabled her to get the tip well out of the boat or well over the shore. Shorter rods also limit casting (well, throwing, anyway).

We use a mini-chop saw with a carbide cutting wheel. One chop, no splintering, perfectly square cut.

I have no idea what you mean by "estimating rod diameter at different points along the blank. What are you trying to do ? You don't need to estimate anything - just take a caliper to the blank at any given point. Or, were you tring to figure out the size for a blank you haven't ordered yet - in which case, you need to go back to what I said above - just get them the lightest stick you can find.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Date: June 12, 2008 11:54PM

Yeah, I wasn't very clear. I haven't ordered the blanks yet. I was trying to figure out what diameters I would be working with, if I cut some of the butt off, but, I think I'll take another look at my choice of blank length. Thanks, Russ!

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 13, 2008 01:37AM

I agree 100% with Russ. I build a lot for small children. 5 ft is the perfect length for any child to learn casting and fighting fish. Remember they are going to grow up and anything less will become too small real soon. If you make them 5 ft or even 5' 6" they will have a rod that can be used for years to come. Take a look at Mud Hole's Custom Builder series rods. They come in 5 different colors that will appeal to both girls and boys. Swampland for that matter has the same thing from a different manufacturer. They're really nice blanks for the price. I'd couple those spinning rods with underslung spincast type reels.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 13, 2008 08:00AM

If you cut 2 feet off the blanks from the butt, you'll greatly alter the action. It will become, much, much slower. You're talking about taking off roughly 30% of the total length. I'd rather have a beginner working with a medium to medium fast action rod than a slow action rod, which is what's going to happen if you lop off that much from the butt.

I'd take a hard look at the various offerings and try to find something is closer to what you want in length right up front. The less you trim, the less you'll change the action and power.

Remember that with the CCS, you can effectively determine the action and power for any length before making the cut.

Date: June 13, 2008 08:49AM

Thanks, Tom and Bill. I had decided on a underspin reel the first time I saw one. It looks like it would be easier to "trigger" than the standard Zebco that I learned with, plus it will get them accustomed to reeling with the left and holding the rod with the right hand. I like the Mudhole offerings, because of the colors, but they are graphite. I will go with the Batson E-glass, because of the extra durability. I conviced my son that black was "cooler" than green. His younger sister wants everything that her older brother has. So, I have her buy-in as well. We've started to pick out components. Now, if I can just get them to accept the look of a split grip...

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: June 13, 2008 09:43AM

I did three Mudhole blanks for my granddaughters. I left them 5 1/2' since kids grow fast. These little blanks are very light and a pleasure to fish with. I would not shy away from them because they are graphite. They are lighter and more responsive. I don't think a child could break it if he tried.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: steve stanfill (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2008 05:28PM

I too recently built four rods for neices and nephews, using the mudhole custom blanks. 6 to 10 lb ,cut 6" off the butt with a chop saw, making them 5' 6''. Set them up as spinning rod's using the spincast reels with the trigger also. I used pac bays Illusion guides with the holographic rings to add some bling, that kids really seem to like. Good luck on your rods and enjoy taking the kids fishing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster