I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Abalone Question !!!
Posted by: Tommy Loucks (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 10, 2008 10:59PM

Gentlemen:

I am completely in awe of some of the abalone wraps I have seen and am determined to make that my next project. I have wrapped many rods but the abalone installation I have no idea where to start. The rod construction is no problem but adding the abalone I have no idea.

Where can I get the abalone material?
Any tutorials or instructions regarding the abalone installation?

Any help or input is appreciated.

Thank you,
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Abalone Question !!!
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 10, 2008 11:17PM

There will be an article in RodMaker shortly. In the meantime, do a search under Abalone or under Kevin Knox and you should turn up some good information. I think Kevin even listed his proceedure in an earlier post here.

Posted by: Mike Adams (71.80.150.---)
Date: June 11, 2008 01:01AM

I'd been eying those abalone photos also and wondering how that was done. With information provided by Mr. Knox I was able to do some googleing and and found [www.inlayusa.com] in addition to the 2 links that Kevin provided. There is a small how to page about rods and cue sticks but Kevin's instructions appear to be more complete. It was stressed that applying the abalone veneer is an art not just a mechanical process. Lots of practice. Happy to see that this will be featured in the magazine.

This is definitely something that I want to look into as time allows. Thank you for your help, Kevin

Posted by: kevin knox (---.direcpc.com)
Date: June 11, 2008 06:48AM

As Tom mentioned, do a search and the instructions are posted. As for the source, I am happy to say that aquabluemaui.com is the website. I am also jumping for joy that last night I got an email form them and they are in the process of becoming a sponsor on the site. I am in the throws of doing an article, in between customer orders and rods for the shop. So, in short time, I will have something put together.

Important: The soak time mentioned in the original post mentions a long soak time. As this is a learning process for all of us, I have found that the soak time is a function of the ambient temperature and/or the humidity and or experience level. My soak times are down to 3 hours now that the summer months are upon us.

Go to www.aquabluemaui.com and take a look at the raw section. The thinlam section is beautiful, but the work is more difficult. Get some raw soaks under your belt before you try that one! If you email them, Scotty is your contact. Mention that you are from the site and you will get special pricing.

Email me with any questions and I will be more than happy to help you out.

Sorry for adding to your addiction list!!!!!
Kevin Knox

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 11, 2008 07:43AM

AquaBlueMaui is going to be joining us here as a sponsor very shortly. I've talked to them and they seem like good people with thorough knowledge of the technique.

Posted by: Scott Parsons (98.105.152.---)
Date: June 11, 2008 12:20PM

the pictures that I just posted a few days ago are with the thinlam material. not knowing any better that is what I bought for my first attempt. I think since you can buy the adhesive backed product without the thinlam that is what I will get next time. I my opinion you don't need the lam on top because you are going to put finish on it. But it was a great experience and my customer loved his rods and all is right with the world. thanks again to Kevin for his help. Scott

Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: June 11, 2008 01:05PM

What makes the thin lam more difficult? if it is finished on one side with adhesive on the other, will this prevent it from being soaked and made more pliable?
Steven

Posted by: kevin knox (---.direcpc.com)
Date: June 11, 2008 05:10PM

Steven,
It is actually laminated on BOTH sides. Not just one. So, the dissolving of the calcium in the shell can not take place as readily since there is a barrier that prevents the vinager from readily soaking the shell. The raw has no laminate and the vinager really gets in there and pulls the calcium out of the veneer.

Kevin

Posted by: Bob Turpen (---.197.140.67.ip.alltel.net)
Date: June 11, 2008 05:16PM

Hey Tom. . . I just finished my first Abalone/Shell Inlay and posted it. I've been e-mailing back and forth with Kevin Knox since the Show in Feb. He gave me the confidence and the knowledge to "gitter dun." He held my hand thru the whole process. I'm looking forward to his article in Tom Kirkman's pub. One thing about Kevin, he's not stingy with his knowledge. Just jump in and give it a try.

Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: June 11, 2008 06:08PM

Thanks Kevin,
Thats kind of what I thought. I think I'll give Aqua Blue Maui a call!!! I did a search and read some of your posts. Great info.
Steven

Posted by: scotty ventura (---.maui.net)
Date: June 14, 2008 07:06PM

Aloha Steve.
HI Im Scott with Aqua Blue Maui LLC and we are the ones who have been out there manufactoring the Abalone Thin Lam TM, Pearl Veneers for the last 13 years. But liek all good things we might have been before our time some have told us. So now if you want to get the very best coolest look for you rod wrapping you need to look us up at www.aquabluemaui.com, e-mail is aquablue@maui.net and ph 1-808-876-0217. And there is now question you will have that we do not know the answer for and the reason that is , is becouse we invented Thin Lam Pearl veneer!
Thanks Steve.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster