I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

More Expo News
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 10, 2008 09:38AM

Both Batson Enterprises and Mud Hole Custom Tackle have purchased additional booth spaces for the 2009 Rod Expo. Both have increased their display areas by a full 25% over last year. Booth sales remain brisk. A very, very good sign.

Jim Upton is helping with the seminar program this year. I'll be in touch with him mid summer and should have a pretty good idea of what topics will be presented at that time. They will be listed on the official event website once we have them nailed down.

One last thing that bears mentioning pertains to the quality and type of rod building education and instruction that the Expo offers - don't be mistaken, even though the seminars draw large crowds, personal one-on-one instruction has always been available at the Expo as well. Inside the seminar rooms we have high quality audio-visual gear so even those in the back of the rooms can see what's going on just as well as those sitting up front (and we're upgrading that equipment again, for 2009). Many demonstrations take place outside the seminar rooms in the social area in the form of "round table" type discussions. Often, seminars move out to that area after the official time is over so that those with remaining questions can get up close and discuss things with the presenter/s. All of the vendors, and there are more here than anywhere else, are happy to spend personal time with folks providing whatever information you request. As someone said the other day, the Expo is like a big city with small town charm. No one will turn you away nor will anyone be too busy to assist you.

The fact is, more rod builders = more information. This is always going to be the case. And you would be hard pressed to be in need of any sort of personal or one-on-one instruction and not be able to easily acquire it at the Expo. In fact, if this wasn't the case, the Expo wouldn't attract this many rod builders each and every year. If you want to learn, whatever it is, you can learn it at the Expo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: More Expo News
Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.108.---)
Date: June 10, 2008 10:04AM

I like the round table idea. Some topics are not going to draw a ton of interest, or might need one on one up close and personal attention, or might not warrant the use of a 40 minute presentation. We've done wrapping Demo's at the NERBs booth, in which I know many guys have benefitted since they were able to stand right over me and see wha tI was doing, and ask questions. Something like that is tough to do in a seminar room, and a lot of people are uncomfy asking Q's in front of a lot of people. Havin ga small group, like Terry Henson had when he continued his feather inlay presentation in the lounge, seemed to REALLY spark the interest of those watching/asking/talkign with him as he did his thing.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 10, 2008 11:22AM

Those "one on one"impromtu demo's are great and just one of things that make the Expo so great!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 10, 2008 11:41AM

That's the thing - it all takes place at the Expo, either in large seminar rooms with good audio/visual gear or out in the hall in smaller, more personal settings. But the idea that you can't get personal, up close, instruction at the Expo is bogus. More of that sort of thing takes place here than anywhere else.

Bogus too is the notion that the vendors can't or won't spend time with folks who need help. Nobody is too busy to help you with parts selection or to offer personal advice on your rod building endeavors. I doubt anyone could say that they have ever had a vendor turn them away because they were too busy to offer personal attention to a question. Yes, they're very busy, but all that I'm aware of take whatever amount of time is needed to help folks get the information and/or attention they need.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 10, 2008 03:18PM

I for one can say that no vendor has ever turned down taking the time to answer questions about products or offer advice. The same for the manufactures at the show supporting their vendors. Yes I have had to be polite and some times wait or come back while they attended to another customers needs. But never turned down, or away

In fact taking the time to patently listen while they are working with other customers, can at times lead to the answer to questions you don’t even know you had. It’s worked for me.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 10, 2008 05:33PM

Don't overlook the "continuing education" workshops held every evening in the Radisson Bar/Grill!!!! A VERY valuable resource!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 10, 2008 06:33PM

Very true Mike!
I received some excellent advice on from another builder while he was eating dinner at the hotel. That I have since put to use.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: June 10, 2008 11:27PM

We had a lot of fun doing the "community rod" on our table for folks wishing to try their hand at wrapping a guide last year. In fact we spent most of our time for the two days on that project, as well as helping folks out in the "commons" (eating) area one-on-one. And we loved every minute of it. We learned as much from them as they did from us, I'm sure.

Lib and Gary and I appreciated the questions, because they gave us a chance to think about the things we thought we knew and the things we didn't know at all. We'd like to thank everyone who had the patience to come by and see us.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster