I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Web Sites
Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: June 09, 2008 02:45PM

Just looking for a local builder (within 20 miles) to assist me in creating my web site, which I wont mention the name of. I live in Taylors Falls, Minnesota about 40 miles north of St Paul. Compensation to be determinded.
Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Web Sites
Posted by: Bill Colby (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 09, 2008 04:59PM

I would suggest that you take a look at the websites of big name companies and take their use of the internet to heart. Good websites are not filled with text. They load quickly so the user doesn't get bored and go somewhere else. Be bold, be concise and make sure your contact information is EASY to find.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 09, 2008 05:16PM

Bill Colby Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>Good websites are not filled with text.

AS much as I want to disagree with this, it's 100 % accurate. REgardless of the amunt of info you want to put on your site, and how good that info mightbe to help others, or explain what you want to explain - nobody will read it. I found that out with my own site, lol.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.coi.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 09, 2008 05:23PM

I'd agree. You can give people the details once they contact you. Just enough information to entice or excite them into contacting you and then once you have them on the phone, by E-mail or there in person, you can--- set the hook!

Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: June 09, 2008 07:31PM

Thanks for the input, Im with a company one of those do it your self web sites but being somewhat computer dunce Iam still having trouble. Im now making a site to set any hooks, my site is and will be non profit and aimed at troubled teens and any other groups that might want to pass on a great craft. So, its mostly informational and I do want to keep that to only as much information needed to educate groups on our intentions.
thanks again for the input.
Vern

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 09, 2008 07:44PM

Visit as many other sites as you can, perhaps use the TackleWorks directory to go direct to any of those builders' sites. Then, remember which ones appealed to you. What you like may be what others will like as well.

Posted by: Dave Barrett (---.ma.emulex.com)
Date: June 10, 2008 08:53AM

I'm web master for a couple of sites. One important rule of thumb: the average user spends only 10 seconds deciding to stay on a site or to move on. So your home page has to hit hard and fast. It can't have lots of text if its to be effective. Your main points have to jump off the page. If the user has to look for them, they'll leave.

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dsl.klmzmi.ameritech.net)
Date: June 10, 2008 01:37PM

i'm an IT consultant/developer and primarily build distributed applications that have some sort of web component. Companies spend lots of $$$ to determine the usability of their sites. Having a professional, clean and organized site can and will make a big difference in your business presence, especially if you are using your website as your "business card." As a consumer, i spend more time looking at these type of sites and would prefer to partake of their services over sites that are home-made looking or come from a default Frontpage template. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me from my profile.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Alessandro Brunelli (---.5-85.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: June 12, 2008 01:02PM

I am not within 20 miles of you and I understand what you mean. What is your main objective for the website, though? If it is commercial, perhaps you are limiting yourself within that range. If it is just for "being there" , than I see it...

Kind regards!

Alessandro Brunelli
Switzerland

www.upon-bamboo-fly-fishing-rods-and-reels.com/index.html

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster