I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Power rod wrapper
Posted by: Russell Harris (---.semo.net)
Date: May 29, 2008 07:47AM

Howdy to the forum folks! I am fairly new to Rod Building and would like to buy a power wrapper. Can anyone suggest what brand and model you would buy based on experience and quality? I have built several drying machines that I have been using, but would still like to have a combination machine with a self centering chuck. I have read that it is best to stay with a lower RPM motor as some of them are too fast and hard to control. Any advice would be grateful. Thanks for a great forum.
Russell

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Power rod wrapper
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: May 29, 2008 08:19AM

Here is a lot of infor [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 29, 2008 10:27AM

What price range are you looking for? some start out around 399 to well over 1,000
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Roy Pilent (---.dsl.austtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 29, 2008 01:48PM

Hey Russell, I got a Pac Bay Wrapper with Dryer for $299.00 new and had to upgrade the chuck for another $100.00, It does the job and you can ajust the speed of the wrapper. Before the upgrade I would use masking tape around the chuck aswell as the rod butt.
Hope this helps, Roy

Roy Pilent
Bastrop Tx.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.org)
Date: May 29, 2008 03:26PM

Russel, Sometimes you can find the PacBay wrapper with the upgrade chuck for $300, I got mine from Acid Rod. It has taken me a few months to get comfortable with the power wrapper, but now that I have I love it. I still see the need for a dedicated lathe for turning handles, etc. but the PacBay can turn some stuff if you need to.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: May 29, 2008 06:37PM

Did you check out my link ? Find what people like. Then make your own choises. It is a search of what people have said of power wrappers.

Date: May 29, 2008 08:15PM

Thanks very much Bill! I have looked at the Pac Bays fairly close and think that's what I will probably go with, and also with the better chuck. Thanks again and I will check out the site.
Russell

Date: May 29, 2008 08:18PM

Hey Bob, [probably the 400.00 range. I don't plan to really crank out the rods as I care more for the art than the production, as I am sure most of you do. I think the Pac Bay looks like the way to go for me. Thanks for the response!
Russell

Date: May 29, 2008 08:20PM

Hey! Thanks for the info! I have looked at them close and have decided the better chuck would be the way to go after all you guys and some more reading says about the same thing. I am lucky to have such a good bunch to learn from. see you!
Russell

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 30, 2008 09:46AM

Russell - check the PacBay wrapper with the "Executive" chuck - don't even bother with the original chuck. Some of the suppliers are also offering premiums (such as a motorized epoxy mixer) with these so check around, but @#$%& (C&M Tackle) has an RBO special for the RM BBS and they are fine folks to deal with.

There are some tricks to using this rig; too long to fill up the bandwidth here. If you email me I'll fill you in as best I can to save you some of the learning curve, such as ordering a fourth roller support for longer rods, and some stuff about the thread carriage.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster