I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Offshore Spinning Rod
Posted by: Tom Slater (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 26, 2008 08:44PM

Hey Fella's

i am currently researching my options into a medium heavy spinning setup to use over here in australia for chucking soft plastics for snapper,sweetlip,tuna etc etc water depth would probably be from 10- 40m. prodominatly and on a good day when we can get out of the bay maybe a bit more

im looking for something around 8-14lb or maybe up to 10-20lb or similiar. would like it to be 7-8 feet long. any suggestions for a blank say under $120? and also does that lline weight seem right to you?

still thinking of grip setup but the rod will be matched to a shimano stradic 4000 or 5000 havnt decided yet

so yeah any recomendations on a blank would be very much appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Offshore Spinning Rod
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 26, 2008 08:51PM

The Lamiglas TF90-15 would be a nice choice for what you described ... it is listed under Kayak blanks, but it is a Tri-Flex design. Light and VERY strong. The blank is described as 7'6", 6-15# - but I can assure you that it is significantly stronger.

Two other good choices for heavier inshore fishing are the St Croix 2SW76MM and the G Loomis P904-GL2.

The new Stradic 4000FI has PLENTY of drag and if you are using braided line, the capacity will be more than adequate.

Date: May 26, 2008 09:02PM

Thanks for the reply jim,

yeah IMO the 4000 should be perfect just have to buy it :S

ill look into the blanks you listed thanky you very much

Date: May 26, 2008 09:35PM

also on a rod like this im guessing single foot guides are out of the question or is it possible and more so is it practical? would it be feasable to use single foots as running guides and a high framed double foot as stripper an transition guides? or could i go as far as using all single foots?

as i will be standing and casting for long periods of time weight is a concern

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2008 09:39PM by Tom Slater.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 26, 2008 09:38PM

You want a back bouncing blank or one of the L series tarpon blanks from Loomis. Either will do what you want. Loomis L902 or L904 would be ideal.

No reason to use single foot guides on a rod that stout. Use the New Guide Concept as outlined in the library article here on this site but use double foot spin guides for the butt and intermediates and then small double foot casting guides for the choker and running guides.

Date: May 26, 2008 09:44PM

Thanks for the advice mike i have only ever built ultralight rods so i am not familiar with the heavy rod building.

i will look into those blanks

thanks

Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 27, 2008 04:12PM

Rainshadow SW 967 would be great for this application as well, it's what I use with the same reel/same application.

Posted by: marcus naslund (---.dhcp.atsc.ca.charter.com)
Date: May 28, 2008 12:14AM

Hey Tom, check out amtac atx AXC78L mudhole sells it in a kit form. I love this blank, its da bomb!

Date: May 28, 2008 01:50AM

Thanks for the replies fellas much appreciated.

at the moment im thinking something around 8-17lb would be good but even something say 6-14lb as a friend has recomended over here in aus.

what it needs to be able to do is throw weights from say 1/8th (plus a 5 or 7inch plastic) up to maybe 1 ounce

the G Loomis recomended above is a good choice for what i think i will need but still not sure

Thanks guys

Date: May 28, 2008 02:54AM

Could anyone recomend some good guides to use on this rod?

just brands/frames/models is fine, something that wont cost an arm and a leg like Fuji Sic but will still handle 15 and 25lb braid running through it when its connected to a fiesty tuna :) and they have to last the distance.

what sort of price are american Tackle Titans, and would the Spin/Cast uides be high enough for what i need?

or would it be possible to get alconite rings in HV fuji frames for example to give me the height i need?

Thanks

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 28, 2008 09:05AM

I'm not so sure I wouldn't look at a Hot Shot blank. I think the casting weight requirements would be better met by something like that, plus you'd still have the mid and butt power to land about anything you'd come up against.

Any sort of standard spinning guide should be able to get the job done. I'd set it up per the New Guide Concept article in the library. I'd use double foot guides for the choker and intermediate guides and then either single foot fly type guides or low frame casting rod guides, for the running guides.

Posted by: Ben Hurlstone (---.perm.iinet.net.au)
Date: May 30, 2008 02:19AM

tom, i have a GUSA 7 foot 6-17lb blank that i got from the muddy hole for around $70, i would reccomend this as your best blank, nice tip for working the plastics but it can also pull a stump. i wouldnt go higher than a 4000 reel and you will have the advantage of two spools with the stradic. im useing a titanium sic v frame single foot stripper then the new concept single legs like you have used in the past for the rest of the rod. try to keep weight down as much as possible but dont be afraid to use single foot guides

Posted by: Ben Hurlstone (---.perm.iinet.net.au)
Date: May 30, 2008 02:20AM

forgot to add if you wanna have a look at the blank before making a decision im in brissy also

Date: May 30, 2008 02:39AM

oh awesome ben a fellow brisbanian

do you know the model of the blank? i like GUSA and have built them before and am currently building up a Pioneer UR70UL for my second breaming/bassing rod. very nice blanks so to stick with them would be great.

single foots, hmm still tossing up the idea. id like to get away with light as possible as ill be casting all day so lighter the better.

Date: May 30, 2008 02:45AM

is it the B70M?

7 foot 6-17lb GUSA

it sounds right.

might go the 7'8'' but for that extra casting distance when the tuna schools are that bit further away

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster