I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

SNAGGING BLANK
Posted by: David Henney Dave's Custom Rod (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: October 20, 2002 11:21PM

I have been getting a lot of requests to build some snagging spoonbill rods, but they want them 12ft to 14ft.. Most want 14ft.. Any suggestions... Thanks Dave's Custom Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SNAGGING BLANK
Posted by: Pat Majeski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 20, 2002 11:28PM

Seeker makes a nice surf blank in the 15ft. range that might do the trick. Pat

Date: October 20, 2002 11:45PM

The longest I could find was 11.6 Thanks Dave

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2002 05:01AM

Dave -

Lamiglas blanks: GSB1801 (15' one piece) and GSB1802 (two piece) on graphite SB1805 (fiberglas 15' one piece) is all I could find in a source search.

Ken

Posted by: Arvana Jarrard (---.mannford.ok.mbo.net)
Date: October 21, 2002 08:38AM

Dave
I don't wrap anymore sold out about 11/2 yr ago but back then Lamiglass would build the old 16810 for you if you bought 25 or more You might check with them Also they have a lot of graphite blank that will work One suggestion stay away from the 2 pc at least here no one likes them for snagging
Good luck
Butch

Ask Todd about the # on the graphite the best one carries about a 16 tip

Posted by: Capt. Bill Hobbs (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2002 12:41PM

Can some one enlighten me on this snagging spoonbill rod. I'm from the Gulf coast of Florida and I don't recall anybody snagging spoonbills down here. Thanks

Posted by: John Britt (---.9-67.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2002 03:43PM

Hey Cap. I don't think they are referring to our spoonbills, they would put you in jail for that
John

Date: October 21, 2002 05:13PM

Rod has to be 2 piece around here how would you haul a 15 ft 1 piece.. Thanks Dave

Posted by: Sharon Johnson (216.201.163.---)
Date: October 21, 2002 05:46PM

Dave,
I don't know anything about the kind of fishing that you are talking about but we offer some 12'-14' two piece blanks in both graphite and fiberglass.
Sharon Johnson
All Star

Posted by: Clyde Dent (---.169.39.162.ip.alltel.net)
Date: October 22, 2002 01:55PM

“Snagging” is not what many would call "fishing." I've seen it done locally below the locks on the Arkansas River. The rods are used to toss huge chunks of lead with treble hooks into the current to "snag" large catfish, including the spoonbill catfish variety. The market for these rods does not include big spenders. If you get the impression that I'm not in favor of "snagging," you're correct.
Clyde Dent

Posted by: Gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: October 22, 2002 03:15PM

They used to snag salmon in Michigan. There was a bumper sticker out for a while that said "Salmon snaggers jerk on their rods"
Salmon snagging stopped.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.WLDF.splitrock.net)
Date: October 22, 2002 04:00PM

I think it's fair to say that many of us, myself included, don't consider snagging a sportsmanlike way to catch our fish (I suppose to the fish, any manner of being hooked is bad enough). But, Dave isn't asking for opinions on the sportsmanlike principles involved, just what blanks to use on rods that those who do this sort of thing (legally I hope) require.

Sorry for butting in and I'm certainly not disagreeing with Clyde or Gary, but I just don't want to see a lengthy thread on fishing ethics develop here.

Posted by: Capt. Bill Hobbs (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: October 22, 2002 04:16PM

Whew!, here I'm thinking these poor birds. I can remember the old timers walking up and down the docks with10' calcutta poles and a piece 100 lb. mono attached was a 12" mullet they would hook 30+lb. snook throw them on the dock and fillet. What a sport!

Thanks

Posted by: Ray Alston (63.119.95.---)
Date: October 22, 2002 05:23PM

Capt. Bill,

Haven't ever snagged any spoonbills, but I have snagged a few pelicans. I can tell you that me "or"
them weren't too happy about it either. It aint easy to get your plug back from them suckers.

Ray

Posted by: Frank Thramer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 22, 2002 09:43PM

I've done the same. Seagulls also seem to take great offense. Who woulda thought that they could put up such a fight!!! And I'm talking about trying to get your lure and line untangled from them.

Date: October 23, 2002 06:04PM

Yes Oklohoma it's legal and a lot of people do it, they also noodle big flathead there also.. Thanks Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster