I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Please help me make smooth Permaglossed wraps
Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.coos.k12.or.us)
Date: October 21, 2002 12:02PM

I have a Permagloss question for you..relating to my own Permagloss experience (that I'm not quite pleased with).

When you do wraps with Permagloss how do you get them perfectly smooth (after the final coat).... or do they remain a little bit "wavy?"

Mine are wavy...And I've tried all the tricks I thought I had learned from my Min-Wax spar urethane rods. Even on those rods I found that the "wavy" surface developed after several thin coats. What I found worked was sanding with a fine grit paper and then two thicker coats (in fact it helped after the stuff had begun to thicken in the can)...then I got the smooth surface I wanted. That did not work with Permagloss. I put a bunch of thinner coats on....then two thicker coats (after sanding) and I still have that not quite smooth surface. What is your experience here?

I think I ended up with 9 coats...7 very thin ones. Perhaps that is too many.....

I'm considering slicing off the guides and trying again with the spar stuff...but I do like the hardness of the Permagloss.

The rod was, of course, one of Dan Craft's great blanks...matte grey. If I remove the wraps is there something I can use to remove the Permagloss that extends over the ends of the wraps onto the blank?

Anyway, something that will remove the Permagloss...but not harm the blank.

So...What the heck is the secret to smooth Permaglossed wraps? I feel that I've done something srong...but quite can't figure it out.

I suppose the only one who will notice is me...but I will notice.

Thanks,

Keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Please help me make smooth Permaglossed wraps
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.WLDF.splitrock.net)
Date: October 21, 2002 01:02PM

Keep in mind that you have to consider Permagloss to be more of a paint. It doesn't respond exactly in the same way that our epoxy finishes do.

I have been able to get nice, smooth wraps with Permagloss just by applying it, quickly, and using multiple coats. But not thick ones. You also can't go back and do a lot of brushing, you have to put it on and move along.

So many of these finish application problems are hard to figure out over an electronic forum like this one. You really need to see how a person is applying the stuff and often you'll spot the trouble area right off.

The Permagloss will get hard enough to sand. If that's what you must do (and you have sufficient build-up to do it) I'd try it before I stripped the rod down. Use a sanding block where possible to get a nice flat surface. When you recoat, put on just enough to re-gloss the surface.

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.coos.k12.or.us)
Date: October 21, 2002 01:23PM

Thanks Tom,

I'll try the sandig block. Hadn't thougth of that.

How much Permagloss is too mcuh (on wraps)?

How do Ideal with the Permagloss on the blank question? On most of my wraps I have a nice transition from the wrap to the blank. But on some it is uneven and I think the Permagloos extendes too far onto the blank. (I wanted it to just extend beyond the wrap edge)

Keith

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: October 21, 2002 01:54PM

Usially, you can "peel" finish on the black with a fingernail or acetone on a cloth or with rubbing alcohol. Sometimes it takes lots of patience to get the finish completely cleaned off. Take your time, Don't use anything metal that will certainly mar the blank or worse.
Patrick

Posted by: Randy Wilinski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 22, 2002 01:32AM

In trying to get your finish to extend just beyond the wraps,
I'd use masking tape next to the wraps when making a straight line for the fresh wrapping finish to be placed onto the wraps with.
Just peel the tape off when done before it dries to the rod too!

Posted by: Tim Lombardi (---.du.volcano.net)
Date: October 22, 2002 01:42AM

Keith

Make a test wrap on an old blank with permagloss and sand it then use flex coat or any finisher over it ,then try one coat of permagloss and no sanding then your finisher it will work either way with less work with out sanding,try it to see for your self.

Tim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster