I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Packing Thread
Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: May 22, 2008 09:37AM

I have really been struggling with Gudebrod Nylon thread. I have yet to get a wrap that doesn't get blotchy when I put CP on it. I know that means I'm not packing it well enough, but what does it take? I pack every two to three turns. I use a burnishing tool. What am I missing?

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Packing Thread
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 22, 2008 10:06AM

I use my thumbnail. This is even more important when using certain colors like goldenrod, red, yellow, light blue, etc.

Blotching is very often cause by uneven or poor thread packing, but it can be caused by other things as well. If you feel you're doing a job getting the thread uniformly and evenly packed against each strand, then it might be time to look at other possible causes.

Posted by: Bill Rice (---.254.153.131.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: May 22, 2008 10:08AM

Aaron:
Maybe you have oil from your skin that is touching the thread? Clean hands might do the trick . You can't be too clean . Or add one more coat of C.P. It seems like you are packing enough every 3 turns.
Tight Lines
Bill

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 22, 2008 10:33AM

Check your thread tension. You need to have a constent tension during your wrap. Also make sure your not so tight your actually stretching the thread.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: John Blair (---.dsl.hrlntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 22, 2008 11:00AM

All good advice above.......Hand washing is very inportant and if you are like Tom and I in that you use your fingernails, Make sure your finger nails are clean. I wash my hands with rubbing alcohol behore and during thread work......Helps remove some of the oil from your hands....Be sure to use hand creme when you go in the house because you don't want your hands to crack.......Have a good day

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 22, 2008 11:51AM

Constant application pressure - what direction are you applying pressure - tip to butt or butt to tip - is the end of your packing device flat or pointed - blotching can be usually attributed to underlying color and thread surface color - gapping attributed to slippage and packing - are you talking about guide wraps or thread art - if you are using A do you burnish after pack - is your burnish done wet or dry - are you packing singles or bands - ehevrons or boxes - problems at thread crossings or in flat areas - and on and on and on.- is there a builder nearby that produces good work so you can visit and watch - just takes some real hard work and attention to small details.

Good Luck in your quest!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: May 22, 2008 12:21PM

With all teh talk about washing hands causing a problem with finish....I had to do some research. Make sure you read teh comments, Mick did extensive testing on this, lol.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

THis kind of dispels the contaminants cause blotching theory people have: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (162.96.105.---)
Date: May 22, 2008 01:29PM

I wrap as tight as I feel as I can without damaging the blank with the guide foot. I am also compulsive about packing threads. I pack all the way around about every 4th wrap. I thin my CP a little and apply at least 2 coats to be sure is seals the thread completely. All it takes is a slight gap in CP coverage and you will have a blotch. I have done white and yellow Mettler polyester(equivalent of Madiera polyneon) over black blanks with no bleed through.

Posted by: les cline (---.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net)
Date: May 23, 2008 12:09AM

Scott,

What kind of CP are you using and is it supposed to be thinned?

Is your thread tensioning device adding some kind of oil or other residue to the thread? Your razor blades clean and oil free?

Finally, I had this happen to me the other day: I wrapped and burnished, then took my blank outside into bright sunlight and immediately noticed a few tiny gaps. Great lighting is a must for thorough packing.

Just my experiences.

Les

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: May 23, 2008 10:39AM

Les I am using classic coat, not sure if it supposed be thinned but I thin in a little and just put on an extra coat or 2. I believe(and that is what counts) that I get better coverage that way. I know others say one coat of unthinned is enough, but it seems every time I try that I get a tiny blotch or 2. I have not had the thinned and multiple coats fail me yet.

Me, I put tension on the spool and keep my fingers clean just to be on the safe side.

Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: May 23, 2008 03:55PM

I just did my best job so far on a rod. Put CP on it, and all the wraps except on the dropshot keeper turned out great. Re-did the dropshot keeper, packed and packed and packed again. Same deal. The higher I get up the keeper, the more I can't get the thread packed well. I even tried packing after it dried just to see if I can get it to pack better, but I couldn't. I'll keep working at it.

Thanks for all the responses, guys.

AC

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster