I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Marbling question ???
Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 20, 2008 08:42PM

A co-worker brought a rod in for me to put new guides on . He wants me to use garnet thread with gold narrow trim bands.
At the butt end he wants me to marble with matching colors.

Ok the Rod is gloss black. So just put a coat of clear epoxy first and then add testors Red M.F Rouge Met.
and then the gold that being the matching colors???

All help appreciated thanks. <<<<DON>>>>

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Marbling question ???
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2008 09:11PM

Donald,

I strongly suggest you try it on a scrap piece first if you have one.

Depending on the look your after you could marble some red into
some clear on the rod or mix the pigment into the clear finish
(making it red) and then apply it to the rod and marble some gold
into the red.

If I were trying to match the thread color (in this case garnet) I would
mix up some red and then add tiny bits of black or brown pigment until
I get the color I what and then apply it onto the rod.

Try not to go overboard with the gold. IMHO with metalic colors a little
go a long way. You can make it "POP" or make it gaudy.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 20, 2008 09:15PM

You'd mix the finish, then separate it into 3 lots. One you leave clear, add the red to the second, and the gold to the third. Then go as you suggested: clear, then swirl in some of the red tinted epoxy, then some gold. It helps to let the epoxy thicken a little when adding finer swirls so that it doesn't meld together right away.

Date: May 20, 2008 09:25PM

Great Guys thanks!Gotta go, off to Wal-mart for some testors.Wiffe thinks I'm crazy going after testors at this hour. She's right 100%. Thats what this animal does to yea !!!

See yea!! thanks again. <<<<DON>>>>

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2008 09:29PM

You also could underwrap the marbled area with the garnet thread therefore the color match would be perfect. Use black and gold as the marble color.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 20, 2008 09:30PM

Donald,

I don't know about your's, but our WalMart doesn't carry Testor's paints any more. You'll probably end up getting it from a hobby store or online.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 21, 2008 08:39AM

Here is an article on marbling done by Mike Barkley for RodMaker several years ago. You may find it helpful.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

If you want to add in white, which will make the other colors stand out more, add a little bit of straight titanium dioxide available at most better paint stores. It will provide the most perfect and brilliant shade of white.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 21, 2008 09:41AM

There are many many shades of white. Most of them appear to be quite different in sunlight.

The starkest white on boat surfaces is one that has a "slight tinge of black" added. It is the "stark white" used on the gel coats of epoxy coated bass boats and bluewater offshore boats. Ranger, Champion and Skeeter boat dealers and all blue water dealers and repair centers keep several white gel coat pigments in stock in one oz touch up tubes. When you put this special white up against other whites in sunlight other whites will appear yellowed or "ecru" which is egg shell white. Most large boat dealers will have a supply of patch pigment kits and sell tubes of the pigment in about 12 colors for under $4. Check out the appearance of the special stark white and you will see what I am describing. This pigment appears whiter than Tapp and requires less to go opaque. If you look for some get the black and red as well!

And guess what - titanium dioxide is the filler noted on the tube!

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 21, 2008 02:45PM

i would go for the garnet underwrap with clear/gold marbling over the top to ensure a color match.
they have black or red respectively underwrapped with a single color (gold on the red one) marbled in, simple and effective.

[img.photobucket.com]

Regards,
-Justin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2008 02:47PM by justin keithley.

Date: May 21, 2008 09:17PM

Thank you for all the replies. Like Bill stated last evening, after I had already left for Wal-Mart to find out they don't handle testors any more. Was also to late to go else ware. So I stopped and got my paint tonight on the way home from work. Not going to start anything now so, will work on it over the week-end.Do want to get some pigment also.

Again thanks to all <<<<DON>>>>

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 22, 2008 12:53AM

Donald,

I thought that I had posted last night but didn't check to see that it went through and I guess I screwed up the post. What I wanted to say is that you want pigment not paint and ,other than the metallics (gold, silver, etc NOT the metallic colors), which you can let sit and pour off the solvent to get the thick pigment, many of the Testor's paints are too thin to be of much use. A great source is to take some small containers (Medicine bottles,etc.) and ask for some of the pigments that they use to mix paint. They will usually be glad to give or sell you a small amount..

Everyone has their own method, but what I would do is mix up a batch of finish and pour out a portion on foil and leave most in the mixing cup. With toothpicks, add red and a tad black pigment to the cup until you get the garnet shade that you want. Leave set for 10/15 minutes and apply as a base coat to the blank area that you want to marble. Let it turn for another 10/15 min and add the gold pigment into the finish on the foil (You can also add a LITTLE fine gold glitter dust into it). With a toothpick, swirl the gold finish into the garnet and pull it around until you get the effect that you want. By hitting it with a LITTLE heat, you can make the gold kind of diffuse into the red. Play around with it on a piece of scrap and have fun with it!!! Worst case scenario is if you don' like it, marble right over it!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 22, 2008 04:58AM

Tom,
I would like to save this thread for future use. Is it possible to save it as un-read? or some way I can send it to my e-mail?

Thaks,
Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 22, 2008 07:46AM

You should be able to just copy and paste it as a text clipping or into your word processor and save it as you would any document.

Or... just copy and paste the URL showing in the address window right now onto your desktop and you can call up this thread whenever you want.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 22, 2008 12:25PM

I forgeot to add that Swifty has a new Diamondite pigment set that I recently started using and it's VERY good (can be used with any brand finish!!) I hear they are coming out with a set of metallic pigments soon.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster