I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
How to hold micro guides for prep?
Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: May 15, 2008 09:37AM

I'm wondering how you guys hold your micro guides during guide prep. I'm struggling to be consistent on my micro guides as I prep them. Plus, I think I'm doing a "no-no" by holding the guide with needle nose for prepping.

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to hold micro guides for prep?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: May 15, 2008 09:42AM

IT's not neccesary. Size A climbs right up the foot.

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.ip.alltel.net)
Date: May 15, 2008 09:49AM

Have to agree with Billy on this one. I've never felt the need.

Bobby Feazel

[www.shockwaverods.com]

Conventional wisdom will not open the box.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: May 15, 2008 09:56AM

On my Batsons I just touch the tip with my Dremel & polishing disk. I hold the guide between my thumb and two fingers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2008 09:01AM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 15, 2008 12:34PM

Bobby F. - Are you now building spirals or are you putting micros on top? If on top how many and what size are you using on a flipping stick?

Date: May 15, 2008 01:47PM

Bill

All my rods are on top. Haven't done a spiral in a couple of years.

All my rods including flipping sticks have 9 Fuji LSG 3.5 guides (or ten if it's long enough and an extra fast tip). I don't transition from larger guide to smaller.

I'll go ahead and answer the un-asked question:

When I static load I allow the line to JUST touch the top of the blank at each interval under full load.

Bobby Feazel

[www.shockwaverods.com]

Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 15, 2008 02:30PM

I tried no prepping, but when wrapping, the thread (size A) pushed the guides out from the tape. I tried a “blocking” band of tape but that couldn’t be done for the tip (also SF 3.5). I use a small brad (nail) which allows me to roll the guide and ramp the leading edge. Btw, the metal of the brad is much softer than the guide material, so scratching is not an issue.

Date: May 15, 2008 02:39PM

I didn't have that problem at all, but that might be because I was using size 2.5 & 3 guides from Fuji. I use a tad of teh guide foot adheasive, and no masking tape or surgical tubing, so just carefully start teh wrap, step on teh pedal, and it goes right to where I can do a Forhan special. I HAVE knocked the guide off while starting the wrap, ergo I keep a magnet close by.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.36.125.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 15, 2008 05:56PM

I slide them onto a scribe. Holds them real nice with enough room to dress them up a bit with a file.

Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: May 15, 2008 07:31PM

BOBBY F....
You said you always use nine guides on all your rods. are they all about the same length? how long are they? I have a small diameter GUSA that I would like to experiment with and I also prefer guides on top.
Thanks,
Steven

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 15, 2008 10:37PM

I hold them in my hand use a diamond file and just bevel the edges down. The feet are so small I don’t remove any more then is necessary for a smooth transition.

Steven
The guides are inexpensive enough for you to buy some extras to test with. It’s also a good idea to have a few extras around incase you drop one, and the fleas get it for one of their rods before you find it

Date: May 16, 2008 07:29AM

Steven

The vast majority of my rods are between 7'0" and 7'6".

Bobby Feazel

[www.shockwaverods.com]

Posted by: Bill Tune (---.wasco-inc.com)
Date: May 16, 2008 11:50AM

Steve I do the same. Just a few quick strokes with the file and they are ready. I usually hit the sides at an angle and across the tip. Only takes a few strokes on each side then black with a Sharpie. I am currently working on a St Croix 4C79HF which is a beefy blank. I have tried the Alconite BLAG 4's but went up to 5's to get a longer foot for some more wrap length on the heavy power rod. Anyone using 4's or smaller (4 is smallest Alconite at present) on a heavy power rod? Also I tried several combonation for the bumper area and even a size 6 leaves the line very close to the blank. I have a current setup of a BLAG 8 for the first guide, 6 for the bumper and 5 for the bottom and running guides. I have done some test casting (size 5 runners) with a Curado 301, 20 pound mono and 1.5 ounce weight and can toss it 70 yards!

Date: May 16, 2008 12:09PM

Thanks Bobby, thats about where I stand with the blank I'm planning on using, 7'. I haden't seen many posts regarding the use of the micros in a conventional guides on top set up. I just figured that you coulden't do it. But like Steve Gardner said, I should just start doing some tests and find set ups that work for me. I'm used to rules and structure from going to sea, those are two things that do not apply here.
Steve

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 16, 2008 12:53PM

Bill;
I’m not sure how beefy you are talking about. But I am using 3mm guides on flipping and pitching sticks with braid up to 50 lb and have not had any problems with feet or guides or wraps at all.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.static.izoom.net)
Date: May 16, 2008 01:23PM

Off topic: I build mostly spinning rods. I am starting my third simple spiral soon and was wondering if I'm doing things right.. I basically use the static guide placement (as in the library above) and then I flip the guides beyond the butt guide 180, then add a bumper in between the butt guide and the first 180. My question is... for an average 7' bass rod what distances are you guys seeing between those first guides? I'm not sure my line angle is optimum.

Thanks!

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: May 16, 2008 01:57PM

I normally end up with my first and second guide 20-23cm (¡Ö8-9 inches) apart, then I put my bumper half way between them.

I hold the micros in forceps and lightly file the feet with a small file, it doesn¡¯t take much.

To hold the guides on for wrapping I use pieces of tubing cut into small bands, I try to cut the bands to half the length of the foot. The important thing with the micros is to put a second piece of tubing behind the guide so it can¡¯t slide back once you start wrapping the thread up the foot.

Posted by: Bill Tune (---.wasco-inc.com)
Date: May 16, 2008 03:09PM

Steve you convinced me! I will go back to the size 4's (smallest in the Alconite). This is a swimbait rod and chunking 4 ounce baits will be the limit. I have seen a test with a 50 pound class boat rod where we hung a 10 pound weight on it and measured the force at the guides. As I recall most were 1 pound or less. Still need to figure out the combination for the bumper but I think I will just wrap it up and give it a go. I can see no performance negatives. Holding those little 3.5's well that is another matter!!

Date: May 16, 2008 03:26PM

Bill, think about this. A 50# boat rod will be fished at a drag setting at 1/4 - 1/3 the line rating, figure 12#'s. Spread that over 10 guides, and you will have about 1 # per guide on average. The max load will be where the blank has the most "action", and that depends on the way the blank bends. Most XF and F rods will put most of teh stress further out towards the tip than a slower parabolic action rod where teh line pressure will be distributed more evenly.

Date: May 16, 2008 04:30PM

re post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2008 07:12PM by Steven Loughery.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster