I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fastest drying Coating Epoxy?
Posted by: Jon Gold (---.snfccasy.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: May 07, 2008 06:54PM

I seem to recall earlier discussions about an epoxy you guys use for repairs that sets up within an hour or two.
I'm just putting some red pigment on some rods between guides so the party boat skipper can spot his boat rods before they accidently walk off the boat.
Been using Flex Coat and adding the pigment but since I only have my wrapper / dryer and not a commercial 4 or 8 rod dryer it will take forever doing 30 or 40 rods.
Any help is appreciated......
Thanks,
Jon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fastest drying Coating Epoxy?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 07, 2008 07:14PM

Diamondite (not actually an epoxy) can be ready to go in an hour or two if you use a light bulb to cure it. Great stuff. do a search here and select all dates for a LOT of info

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 07, 2008 08:21PM

Tim from Swifty / Diamondite introduced a tinting kit specifically designed for use with Diamondite epoxy at the ICRBE. With the Diamondite and the pigments you could have a Rod done, as Mike stated, in 2 hours or less. I just used it to coat some guide wraps and a snake skin decal wrap, and it is beautiful!! Dead flat, glass clear, and diamond hard. Excellent stuff!! As Mike also stated, with the addition of a 100 watt light bulb (for extra heat), I would say that it's the fastest setting epoxy that one could ever want. On the other hand, if your looking to go with a no mix variety of coating, then I would recommend the Max Seal that has been discussed recently. I've never tinted it, so I can't speak to how well it works in that regard, but Ken Preston has. Maybe he will chime in. No disrespect to Ralph O'Quinn or any of the folks who use PermaGloss and like it, but IMHO the Max Seal is a more user friendly coating medium than PG. Max Seal doesn't have the smell / fumes, and you don't have to pitch what you don't use, you just pour it back into the bottle. It is water clean up, and what I believe is the best part, you run no risk of ruining the finish of the blank.

Bill in WV

Date: May 07, 2008 08:41PM

Max Seal would take a LOT of coats since it is water thin and I don't know of anyone that has used it for wraps so I wouldn't have any ideas as to strength or abilty to take a tint. It's a water based polyurethane. The cost of shipping is very high and it's only available from one source so unless you plan on using a lot of it, it's not cost effective. I buy it in quarts (smallest available) and it's a good fifty buck outlay

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 07, 2008 09:23PM

Mike,

Absolutely, it would not be a good thread coating. I just mentioned it as another option for coting a blank, nothing more. I whole heartedly believe that a 2 part epoxy should be used to cover guide wraps or butt wraps and decals, unless you are just looking for the absolute minimum in weight.

Bill in WV

Date: May 07, 2008 09:41PM

Most of the epoxy finishes are good but I really like Diamondite, which is not an epoxy but based on an adhesive. Diamondite and Threadmaster are the only two that I use.

Max Seal is used by ken and J.P. Timberlake on painted blanks and I use it on wood grips, etc. Great stuff

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Ilya Gorin (---.dsl.snfc21.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 07, 2008 10:23PM

!!!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2008 05:56AM by Ilya Gorin.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.sip.aby.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 07, 2008 10:55PM

I use Diamondite for various projects, but I know a better way. Testor's Paint Markers. They are available in Red and it is a Gloss Enamel that is very durable. $3.99 retail. 30 seconds per guide to apply, 5 minutes drying in the corner ... done.

Date: May 08, 2008 12:43AM

William was talking about Diamondite when he made that statement. He's right it's awesome for guide wraps, etc. It's the Max Seal that is questionable for guide wraps! two different products

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Ilya Gorin (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: May 08, 2008 05:48AM

Thank you, Mike,
You are right. It's my fault - I've scanned text too fast and missed point.
I'm going to delete my post.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster