I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

brushes or spatulas
Posted by: Bryan McPherson (---.sip.pfn.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 28, 2008 01:57PM

Which do you guys prefer and why? Is there something outhtere that shows the proper method for using spatulas to apply finish?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: brushes or spatulas
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 28, 2008 01:59PM

Joe Kassuba has a tutorial on his web site, www.HisRodShop.com.

Bill in WV

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2008 02:00PM by William Bartlett.

Posted by: Lance Lapeyrouse (70.151.77.---)
Date: April 28, 2008 02:01PM

i never purchased the spatulas, but i assumed they were for applying adhesives, not finish. i could be wrong though.

Posted by: Tho Saykosy (---.rmo.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 28, 2008 02:39PM

I use my spatula for LS Supreme finish and the brush for permaglos

Posted by: Lou Wasmund (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 28, 2008 03:25PM

I'll use both depending on what I'm coating. Spatulas for butt wraps moving down to brushes for guide work as the guides get smaller.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 28, 2008 04:15PM

Spatulas are the correct tool to use for applying epoxy. Brushes are for paints, which epoxies are not.

However, if you use your brush as an application tool to apply the epoxy, and not as something to "brush" the epoxy on and around with, they will work fine.

Posted by: Kyle Ligon (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: April 28, 2008 04:25PM

I have both and prefer a nice sable brush(in different sizes) for finishing all my threadwork (there are exceptions though). I can make a good brush last for many rods using a good brush cleaner (never regular alcohol). The spatulas seem harder to use in my opinion, but it's just that, my opinion. I know there are others that prefer the spatulas. It's whatever you get the best results from. Sometimes I use both. I will take a spatula and put it on edge at the end of a wrap and put a brush filled with epoxy against it, while turning, on the thread side to get that perfect 1/16"- 1/32" band of epoxy on the end of a wrap(that doesn't work on the inside of a 2 footed guide wrap though). I also use just a nice sable brush when I have something to steady my hand like my desk (when the rod isn't protruding past the end of my table). There is more than one way to do just about everything, so it's whatever you prefer. Try everything and use what works for you. I have every tool you can imagine for rodbuilding due to that philosophy, but my work is better for that reason. I experiment with everything I can at on time or another. Good luck.............Kyle

Date: April 28, 2008 05:38PM

Thanks for all the feed back, I am like you kyle, although I dont have every rod building tool I will someday but I am going to give the spatulas a try so my next question is where might i get a good set of them from?

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 28, 2008 06:15PM

Brushes have always worked fine for me but that might be because I never tried any other way.

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: April 28, 2008 06:51PM

"nuther .02 cents".... When I started rod building back with the Bullard and Clemens people, brushes were the thing to use and the spatula's were never mentioned....There are so many pros and cons it is unbelieveable.....go with what you feel is best for you....one word left....Flex coat makes the very best brushes available and with the proper cleaning will last many years.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 28, 2008 10:39PM

Bryan, when I started building, a rod builder friend told me to apply epoxy with a brush. I did and I brushed it on...... I painted it on. It worked and I thought my finish work was ok but not great... but it was as good as my friends finish. Then I found the forum, and so many helpful experienced builders. Then I saw the photos. My finish was not as good as so many of the photos. Then I went to the Big Show and I watched Joe Kassuba use a small spade and flat end spatula. It was quick and slick and looked great. He didn't brush it on he basically layed it and or dripped it on. I got a spatula from him and quickly learned that method. Now I can use a brush or a spatula but when I use a brush, I use it like a spatula and just drip the finish on. I prefer the spatula because I also use it to slowly stir my epoxy, then I simply dip it out of my shot glass and lay it on my wraps. Quickly covers the wrap and I go back and touch all of them up..... then shut off the turner and wiick away the excess with a thin needle. Cleaning the spatula is a breeze. My old rod building friend is now using a spatula.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: April 29, 2008 12:17AM

That sounds logical Doc.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 29, 2008 09:44AM

Like many , I started with brushes for applying finish. It worked okay, and I eventually got to an acceptable looking finish on my guides. I experimented with spatulas after reading the board articles and was able to make a big improvement on finish results. I suspect it's because I wasn't trying to dink with it using the brush. I find it's easier to get a nice clean line with a spatula than a brush, but others don't have this issue.

I do use the very flexible artists spatulas (metal) I found at the craft store. They come in several shapes and you can easily grind them to make more or less of a point. There isn't a huge difference between a relatively stiff sable brush and a really flexible metal spatula but it seems to work better for me. The other advantage is that they are easy to clean and will last a lifetime. Even if you forget to clean it off, just pass it over the flame and use a blade to peel off the old finish and you are ready to go.

I do use brushes for CP, permagloss and other things that are less viscous.

Terry

Posted by: Kyle Ligon (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: April 29, 2008 09:45AM

I think I bought a spatula kit of 4-5 different ones from Merrick, but not sure, as it was a while back................Kyle

Date: April 29, 2008 10:10AM

Thanks for all the feedback I have ordered a spatula from acid rods I also ordered one of the flame tourches very eager to see this contractiuon maybe i wont burn the house down.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster