I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Crosswrap thread holding....?
Posted by: Steve Edmondson (---.34-65.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 25, 2008 01:51PM

the only info I can find is to use tape... I did this once before and is the reason I have stayed away from bigger crosswraps. Layers and layers of tape. Is there a better way to hold each thread?

Also - I have only ever done one thread at a time. I have heard mention of multipla at a time - How is that done? Do you literally cut several lengths and that is it? Any info would be appreciated.

-Steve

Tampa, FL

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crosswrap thread holding....?
Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 25, 2008 02:10PM

Steve - tape for me. one tip that I've picked up is to take a popsicle stick and place it on the blank (parallel) when you put down the first layer of tape. when its time to remove it, you have a gap on either side of the popsicle stick to make your cut.

for multiple threads, I just cut several lengths, held between the pad on my thumb and forefinger.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 25, 2008 02:20PM

Amato's book, Rod Building Guide, shows a good use of how to use tape to do this (you sound like you already know how).

I wish I had a better idea, but I don't. I've always used tape. But when I tie off I cut one layer and make a turn, the one layer and make a turn. I don't cut everything at once so I don't get a bulge or sudden change in size where the cross wrap threads end.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 25, 2008 02:45PM

This will defy your common logic but it is easier to pull a band of multiple threads than pulling a single. Simply cut multiples the same length, grasp at the far end to pull constant tension and go to town. Try it a couple of times on a dummy blank and you will quickly find a way to easily double or quadruple your wrapping speed. Hard to explain but bands are easier to pack that singles. Just be sure to include the same thread type and size in the pulled band. Metallics and nylon use different tensions.

Posted by: Billy Broderick (208.66.198.---)
Date: April 25, 2008 03:07PM

I have the renzetti lathe and I always use mulltiple thread when I can get away with it. I can do four or five at a time provided I have that manyy spools of one color. I prefer though to as i said use multi spools then the whole cutting length's thing. first i find it ends up being whastful and its hard for me to hang onto all those threads at once. I just like the multi thread carriage way of doing it. Careful though many paterns require you too wrap one thread at a time for full affect.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 25, 2008 03:51PM

To start out you ask about tap, first I take masking tap and tap off the areas I want the wrap to end, sticky side down. I use 1 inch tape. Next I use double sided carpet I lay this over the masking tape. The reason for masking tap, it makes it easer to remove from the blank when you are done. AS for multiple threads, First I take a single thread and run it up and down the blank this well give you the total length of thread to complete a cross wrap, remember to make extra wraps a both ends the extra wraps well secure the thread from unraveling. Now measure the total length of the thread used to make your cross wrap. Now cut multiple lengths you need. Multiple threads make it easer to wrap and pack tighter.
Email me if I have confused you.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: April 25, 2008 04:11PM

I use double sided tape to hold the threads but after a few passes you have to use a new piece of tape. Sometimes the thread releases from the tape but I still find it faster than cutting little pieces of masking tape. When I did use pieces of masking tape I found that if you build up the tape to high the tension from the thread will eventuallyt pull the pile of tape over SO if you go with this method start taping threads further away from the edge of your foregrip so you have enough room to begin a new stack when the wrap is 50% complete.

For cutting threads, I modified a concept I learned when I began weaving. I use a cardboard box that is roughly 24" around (I use an old box from a digital camera) The 24"around the box is how long I need my threads to be for 90% of the wraps I do. I use a thread bobbin and tape the end of the thread to the box to secure it. I then wrap thread around the box as many times as the # of threads I need for that color (Usually 20 to 30 times around the box) After the box is wrapped with thread I take a piece of masking tape and lay it across the width of threads. Directly below the piece of tape I use my scalpel (XActo knife) and cut through all the threads. I now have all my threads attached to a piece of tape that are exactly the same length (24"). Nylon thread doesn't get knots but metallic thread will sometimes twist around itself. I hope I explained this clearly, if not I'll post some pics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2008 04:14PM by Scott Youschak.

Date: April 25, 2008 04:45PM

Good point Scott.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.georgewall.com)
Date: April 25, 2008 06:25PM

Steve, do yourself a favor and buy Billy V`s book. [northeastrodbuilders.com] . It will answer all your questions and then some. Double sided carpet tape is the best to use. Wrap a paper towel around the blank and tape it. Add two popsicle sticks 0 degrees and 180 degrees and then wrap in carpet tape. As it fills up add more over it. Billy has a unique way of pulling multiple threads that makes it real easy.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2008 06:26PM by Fred Yarmolowicz.

Date: April 26, 2008 02:52AM

When I do multiple threads I hold them close to the blank and move the in and out to help pack the thread placed before
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster