I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

If you are using levelwind reel,
Posted by: Ilya Gorin (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: April 23, 2008 02:52AM

are you really need the acid rod? After the casting you could just turn yours rod reel down and eliminate rotating of the rod when get a biting of big cow. Some objections?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: If you are using levelwind reel,
Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 23, 2008 02:56AM

Then you would have to reel backwards for the reel to retrieve line, because of the multiplying gear system. A whole new set of coordination issues: not what you want when a good fish is on the line.
The acid wrapped rod negates the load twisting of the rod, stabilizing the setup in a fishing and retrieve situation.

Date: April 23, 2008 04:50AM

If you are using that set of coordination constantly, it will be NOT a NEW set for you. For me, even if it is really a "New set", it is not so big deal. I think everybody could rotate reels handle back or forward.
Reel should be on left for right-handed persons and backward. I have discovered it long time ago and IMHO it is mach easier vs. fighting rotating rod with strong fish on.
I am not denying advantages of acid rods. They are perfect; especially, if yours conventional reel without levelwind, but not everybody have them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2008 05:07AM by Ilya Gorin.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 23, 2008 08:39AM

Nope, if you turn a conventional reel upside down (reel down) you will have to wind the handle backwards, whether you are left or right handed. I agree that rodwork while fishing is best achieved with the dominant hand, but you have left hand vs. right hand and upside down mixed up. If you are used to doing it backwards, with an upside down reel, then fine. However, as both left hand and right hand wind are available on many popular reels these days, going upside down is a shortcut way to getting around the problem of wanting to hold the rod in the dominant hand all the time.

The spiral wrap also stabilizes the rod just fine when fishing normally as well. The stability actually makes it easier to reel in and lay the line on a non-levelwind reel.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 23, 2008 08:52AM

Flipping the rod upside down can also create a problem with holding the rod, depending on the size. It also negates the use of your thumb on the spool for various operations while fishing, feeding line, etc.

I'm sure some do this and find it suitable but it would seem unwieldy to me.

And... spiral wraps are not absolutely necessary any more than having radial tires on your car are. You can get by as is, if you want to.

Posted by: Chris Davis (216.186.209.---)
Date: April 23, 2008 09:48AM

Turn the rod upside down and reel backwards? Not after 30 yrs of doing it the conventional way. I've been giving some thought to acid wraps and I know in my world of fishing hooksets are not all vertical(which would be necessary to prevent sideloading regardless of how guides are wrapped) and fish-fighting often entails working a fish around a stump, a trolling motor, outboard motor and Lord knows what else. I know that a lot of the time the bottom of my reel is not facing the fish so the acid wrap is in the same boat as my conventionally wrapped rods(sideloaded). Even when casting(again in my fishing world) the rod is often sideloaded by the weight of the lure while side-armed underhand casting under overhanging tree branches or docks. A person's wrist would have to have the rotating capabilities of on owl's neck to prevent that. I'm spending way too much time thinking about getting a lure where it needs to be, getting a fish to eat it, and getting him to the boat to worry about which way the guides are facing. IMHO, if the acid wrap doesn't improve accuracy or distance then it is one of those "looks good on paper" ideas. I follow professional bass fishing pretty closely and I've never seen an acid wrapped rod being used or the subject raised in conversation. These guys fish 300 days a year and are constantly tweaking/modifying their equipment looking for a competive edge. If Kevin Van Dam thought it would improve his position in the bass fishing world then he would have his sponsor wrap his that way. Once the word got out that spiral wraps were better, ALL the pros would use them and ALL the tackle crazy bass fisherman(like me) would take the rods they own, stand them in a corner, and rush out to buy new ones. OEM dream come true. With all that said, I do think the acid wraps are cute and would make for great conversation at weigh-in. I can hear it now-"Man, you didn't catch any fish but tell us all about those weirds rods you got!!!!"

LOL, Chris
I may be on to something here-think about the number rods out there that could be CONVERTED!!!! Rod Builders everywhere would be flooded w/business $$$$$$!!!!!!!!! Custom wrap colors to match bass boat metal flake/guide upgrades/split a few grips/improve balance a little by moving a reel seat(which would have to be new)/OOOOOOOORRRRRRRRR just convince them they need new ones built!!!!!! Competitive bass fishing is not just about who's got the heaviest 5 fish in the livewell-it's faster boats/stronger trolling motors/tow vehicles/fancy shirts/ and oh yeah, BETTER RODS!!!!

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 23, 2008 12:49PM

Chris,
I would guess by your comments that you have never actually run a comparison between a simple spiral (Bumper Spiral) wrapped rod with a conventional casting set up in real fishing situations. If you had I think your views would reflect a true appreciation for the benefits of the spiral layout. They are numerous and, in most every application, far superior to the "normal" set up.

You miss the point when it comes to the problem of fighting a fish who is running laterally. With the reel on top your wrist can and usually will be pulled into a twist which can exceed the angle you can maintain in following the fish. But with the Spiral wrap the angles will never reach that same high degree of twisting. The guides are closer to the fish so no matter how sharp an angle he runs you can easily follow with less twist of your wrist.

There are additional benefits with regard to power you can apply with the spiral wrap, among other benefits. The harder the fish fights the more that force works to keep your reel sitting upright on the rod, thereby reducing the effort your wrist exerts to keep it upright on a regular set up.

As for the industry and the Pros making the shift.. they will .. but any major change takes time and involves much money spent. Fishermen are generally slow to accept radical changes. The industry is also loathe to risk big money on something which, though they know it is superior, may not be welcomed by the consumer.

Therefore, with all due respect, I suggest you run your own test and decide for yourself. I am eager to read your resulting opinions.

David

Date: April 23, 2008 12:54PM

Ilya,

There was a news photo of the former President Bush reeling a spinning reel backwards... with it sitting on top of the rod. NOt only did it look ridiculous you could clearly see how awkward it must have been to keep that reel vertical.

Levelwind bait caster or not... you are barking up a dead tree in your hypothesis. As I suggested to Chris, set up two rods... one conventional and one with the Bumper Spiral and run your own tests. I am confident you will be amazed with the obvious advantages of the spiral wrap. Cast closed.

David

Date: April 23, 2008 12:55PM

That was meant to read:
"Case closed".

David

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2008 01:36PM

Check out an earlier discussion that pertains to this one...
[www.rodbuilding.org]

I have used both spiral wrapped and conventional wrapped casting rods. Any pressue on the line will tend to turn the guides toward the pull. I can feel the twist on a conventional wrapped rod when under a tight pull although it is not so bad that I can't overcome it with a strong grip. With the guides on the bottom of the rod the tendancy is to turn the bottom of the rod toward the pull and this reduces the side torque and the pressure that I would need to apply with my wrist to keep the reel opposite the pull. One less thing that I need to take into account when fighting a big fish. I believe the advantage goes to the spiral wrap.

Posted by: Chris Davis (216.186.209.---)
Date: April 23, 2008 02:12PM

David and James-Points well taken-I knew I was going to learn something when I posted that! I'm new to the craft-just ordered 3 All Star blanks from Bingham-great prices if you have not looked-I dont see any reason not to wrap one of them Spiral-style. Seeing is believing! Good fishing to the both of you!

Chris

Date: April 23, 2008 07:26PM

David, yours arguments is not convincible in contrast to Tom's notice about thumb operations. I agree with him absolutely.
If you have paid attention, I've told only about fighting big fish with levelwind reel and conventional rod, which is trying to twist your hand. I am understand that conservative people denying everything unusual without trying. I am talking about that method because I've tried it many times and it is works! Again, I am NOT denying convenience of acid rods. But, fish doesn't know what kind of rods you are using now and take you unawares. After half an hour fighting, just try that way and you will be surprised how it useful.
Thanks everybody for participation.
Good luck

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2008 07:35PM by Ilya Gorin.

Posted by: Chris Means (74.197.248.---)
Date: April 24, 2008 02:41AM

This is ridiculous. It seems like you are just looking for reasons to argue about something you don't really understand. I would much rather use an acid rod than use a rod upside down. I can't believe how tame all the responses are. LOL

Let's fish,
Chris

Date: April 24, 2008 05:27AM

Dear Chris,
You are so inattentive. I already told: "I am understand that conservative people denying everything unusual without trying." You've wrote: "I would much rather use an acid rod than use a rod upside down." Sure, fish will wait on the hook while you will build and replace your rod for acid.
It is really ridiculous: you are not listening your opponent and just trying to offence him instead of serious arguing or simple trying.
Sincerely,
Ilya

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2008 05:39AM by Ilya Gorin.

Date: April 24, 2008 01:56PM

Ilya,

There is no accounting for human taste. If you prefer to use your reel this way I am the last person who will try to stop you. I hope you catch many huge fish for many years using your method.

David

Date: April 25, 2008 05:05AM

Yes, David!
I am building acid, conventional and spinning rods for my sons, friends and myself. Basically for salt water. And using them. And you right: "caught many huge fish for many years using my method" along with "yours method".
But I am not considering myself like smartest guru. I am learning all my long life and always open for opponent's opinion.
Good luck.

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 25, 2008 12:00PM

Jimi Hendrix Played a leftt hand guitar upside down , but then again he also played guitar with his nose , teeth, toes ,and any other body part he could produce leagally on stage!! So if you want to go ahead reel up side down and back wards, but remember Jimi was a show man, even though he died young, his style lives on!! Larry

Date: April 25, 2008 04:52PM

Thank you, Larry!

Yours replay make me smile. I appreciate a humor.
That discussion (including my position and position of some of my opponents) reminds me Ukrainians folks saying
"Usramsya no ne sdamsya", that in my awkward translation sounds like:
" I'll rather make poop in my pants,
And will stinking around...
But never, please, listen, my friend,
I'll never-ever surround!"
Time to stop it.

Thank you again,
Good luck in fishing and joking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2008 05:02PM by Ilya Gorin.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster