I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Foam Cores?
Posted by: Brad Young (---.dhcp.kgpt.tn.charter.com)
Date: April 22, 2008 08:52PM

For those of you that have made foam cores, here is a question? If you are making a 12 in foam core who many cc's for parts a and b do you use? I have only try this once and used 10 cc each and it seems like that was not enough. Just trying to save some time and product from waste. If any one would care to expand on this topic. thanks again for all your help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Foam Cores?
Posted by: Mike Adams (71.80.150.---)
Date: April 22, 2008 09:46PM

Hi Brad - I'll chime in here not claiming any expertise but have pour a few cores.

I used ounces as my unit of measurement, not CCs. Most measuring cups are graduated in oz. I started with 2oz of water then poured that into a dixie cup and made a mark. Made cups for part A and B. Mix them together and pour and at room temperature (72 degrees) that resulted in about a twelve inch core, for me. Your results may vary.

But wait, there's more!

That didn't seem like enough core for that amount of fluid and knowing that this stuff is sensitive to temperature I got out an electric space heater and placed the PVC directly of the heater, for a while maybe five to ten minutes. With the same amount fluid the core expanded to eighteen inches. Let me say with a fair deal of pride, I haven't put any foam on the ceiling due to an exothermic explosion.

My final offer, if you call within the next thirty minutes I'll include this next tidbit of information.

Using a thirty inch (heated) PVC mold I used three oz. of fluid that gave me a twenty eight inch core. Of course I then I just cut of whatever length of core that I need.

At first I was skeptical if the foam was some how changed due to the heating but have now formed most of the cores and they work great.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Posted by: Mike Pedersen (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2008 09:46PM

I'm real happy with the cores I'm producing now and have pretty much narrowed it down to two molds to cover all my needs.

12 1/2" long (fits perfectly on Lamar mandrels) by 1 1/4 diam. and 1 3/4 diam.

I use 23ml each part for the 1 1/4" and 32ml each for the 1 3/4". Which works out darn close (within 1ml) doing the math too.

For smaller molds Scott Parsons is right on about weighing it out on a digi scale with the 1.15:1 ratio but for the size mold I'm using the 1:1 seems to work just fine and since the B has a thicker consistency and leaves a little more residual left behind on the pour I figure I end up real close to the correct ratio anyways.

I also like to work with it around 80 degrees.

Hope this helps.

Posted by: Brad Young (---.dhcp.kgpt.tn.charter.com)
Date: April 22, 2008 10:10PM

Thanks for the resposes. It really helps out alot. Do you think that it would be easier to pour say a 25-36 in core and cut to length rather than pour 3 12.5 in cores at one time. My thinking is that because of the time issue that pouring one verse 3 at one time would be better..

Posted by: Bill Lane (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2008 11:27PM

I would not pour 36 inches. Even with mold release, the inside of th pvc is not totally perfect and A 12 inch core takes some effort to remove. I believe it would be very difficult to get 20+ inches out of the mould. Just MHO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2008 11:28PM by Bill Lane.

Posted by: Mike Pedersen (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2008 11:53PM

I can only speak for myself but I started pouring with much longer lengths and just found to many inconsistencies.

Like turning a real nice piece and then oops an air pocket. Trash that one.

Also I just couldn't come up with an easy way to get the cores out of longer molds. Broke a serious bead trying a bunch of different ways too. Maybe someone else has figured out a better way.

And the longer the center rod is the more likely it bends a little, or a lot if you pour staight down one side only, since the liquid that will stick to the sides starts expanding. With the shorter length I've got them pretty much concentric right out of the mold.

I just find that 12 1/2" is enough for both the rear and fore grips in most applications. And I've only built a couple of rods that would call for anything longer than that as a single section.

I just pour one at a time every 40 minutes while I'm actually doing other things and before I realized it, last count I had more than 200 on hand.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 23, 2008 12:37AM

I think that anyhting over about 15",s would create more problems than it's worth.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Mike Adams (71.80.150.---)
Date: April 23, 2008 12:50AM

I don't know but maybe it's because I heated the inch and a half Schedule 40 (thick wall PVC) that I got a consistent twenty eight inch core. Temperature seems to be a critical issue. We won't see eighty degrees around here for more than a month so that's why I thought I'd use the space heater to preheat the tube.

The only time I had trouble pulling the core is when I forgot to put Stoner on the wax paper that covers the end plug.

I build mostly salmon/steelhead casting rods. We like 12 - 14 inch grips and make fore grips or fly grips with the remainder.

I'm not adverse to going to Plan B but until I experience the air pockets or some other problem this seems to work for me.

My next endeavor will be to flock the cores but I sure like the sleeves.

Thanks

Mike

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 23, 2008 08:47AM

Per the information in the article, once you move much past 15 to 18 inches in length, trying to get the core out of the mold/pipe can become a real chore.

Also mentioned in the article - if you come up short, that is, if the foam doesn't expand to the length you needed, just mix up more and pour in on top of what you have now. It will bond tenaciously, effectively forming a one piece core. There is no weak spot where the two cores join with each other.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster