I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Converting a spinning rod to a spiral wrap questions
Posted by: Tim Hoffland (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: April 21, 2008 07:38PM

I have a heavy Shimano spinning rod that I got at Sports Authority for $20 a while ago. I wanted to cut off the guides and make it a casting rod to pair up with a Jigmaster that I've added magnets to for braking. I realized that since it's a 2 piece rod, maybe I could just make it a spiral wrap and only have to cut and re-wrap one guide?

So my question is, with spiral wraps, is the guide placement usually 1 @ 0 degrees, 1 @ 90 degrees, and the rest @ 180 degrees? Or should I put one @ 45 and one @ 135 on either side of the 90??

I hope this makes sense. And thanks for any help with this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Converting a spinning rod to a spiral wrap questions
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 21, 2008 08:07PM

Either of those combinations will work, although depending on your spacing one may work better than the other.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2008 09:27AM

Tom is right. Either may work.
You may want to try some guides taped to the blank in both configurations to see which works best.

The other thing that I have found with most spiral wrapped rods and depending on the reel being used, that it often works better if the first stripper guides is offset from dead center on the top of the blank at 0 degrees to about 5 degrees to the side of the spiral wraps. If you are spiraling to the right - offset to the right. If you are spiraling to the left, offset to the left.

I found this by using a few spiral wrapped rods with the first guide set at 0 degrees and finding that t he line on the reel was tending to stack up a bit on one side of the reel. However, experimenting with different angles revealed that if I offset the first guide about 5 degrees to the direction of the spiral, that all of the line wound evenly on the reel.

--
To reverify that this problem was not being caused by the reel, I tried several brands and types of casting reels on the 0 degree first guide rod. I found the evidence compelling in that the line always tended to stack on one side of the reels.
HOwever, when trying all of these reels on the rod having the slightly offset first guide- all of the line piling disappeared.

So, again, tape the guides in place, do some test casting and line recovery tests and verify that all is well with the guide placement. If it is not, change the guide placement until it is.

Take care
REW

Posted by: Tim Hoffland (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: April 23, 2008 02:13AM

Thanks for the help.

I'll try what you said about taping the guides on to see how it works, and offseting the first guide sounds like a good idea since my jigmaster doesn't have a levelwind. Should be a fun project, I'l post up some pics when I'm done with it.

- Tim
My Gallery: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster