I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

length of rod
Posted by: mike arnold (---.mannford.ok.mbo.net)
Date: April 17, 2008 09:41AM

Is there any given theory to what is the longest rod a person can use ?

I have a lot of guys that want 14' 15' or even 16' rods and they think it will make them throw further but the more i try to tell them it is not the rod it is how well you can load it is the key they will just not listen.

So is there a stopping point to where a rod is just to big for the person using it ? How can i get them to listen?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: length of rod
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 17, 2008 09:50AM

All else being equal, if the guy can move the 16 footer as fast as he can move a 10 footer then he'll get more distance with the 16 footer. This was the key to increased casting distance for the first graphite surf rods. The material itself wasn't magic - it just allowed you move a longer rod as easily and quickly as you could the shorter, but thicker and heavier glass rods. If you can move the rod at the same speed at the point of effort, the tip of the longer rod will be traveling faster than that of the shorter one.

But each person will have a limit as to the length they can still handle before they have to exert greater effort or simply get to the point where they can't move the darn thing fast enough to see any benefits from the extra length. Not many can move a 16 rod fast enough to see any benefit.

If you can afford it, build to test rods, one a 10 or 12 footer and then perhaps a 15 footer. Let them try both and decide for themselves. I know of maybe 2 guys I've built for over the years that can easily handle and cast a 15 rod. For most, 12 feet ends up being about the limit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2008 09:55AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: April 17, 2008 09:51AM

TEll them it won't work, when they insist, buil them teh rod, making sure to charge them extra for teh additional length. Once tehy get it and are unable to cast it well, you can tell them I told you so, and have them re-order anotehr rod at teh higher price because now they know you have a clue what you are doing. Or they'll get teh rod, and will be able to cast it, in that case you thank them for enlightening you, and repeat teh above procedure when they tell their friends adn they wan tone just the other one.

you can't lose. lol.

Date: April 17, 2008 10:06AM

Thanks Tom and Billy

I have tried to tell them the same ting but it is just no luck. I have built a couple of test rods and they want me to throw them to see how they cast but i am 6'4" 300+ and i can load up a 16 with no problem and they think they can too at 5'4" 120 (LOL) but they dont have enough lead in there briches to do that .

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: April 17, 2008 10:17AM

When it comes to money, the customer is always right. If you don't build it for them, someone else will.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: April 17, 2008 11:02AM

Give them this analogy, from the world of golf:

The stiffer the shafts are on your club, the farther you can hit the ball. Sounds simple, right? Well, except for one major point: your swing has to be fast enough to load those stiff shafts. Tiger Woods plays with shafts that are so stiff that his clubs would be just about useless to the average golfer - the hacker is physically unable to generate enough clubhead speed to use them. It's the same thing with surf rods.

I actually think that except for unusual situations (like when 200-yard casts with small baits are a requirement for catching any fish), there's no reason the average recreational surfcaster needs a rod any longer than 10, or at most 11, feet. I fish the surf a lot, and just don't see why a 12-foot rod is needed, let alone a 15-foot rod. Take a common situation in Jersey, when you're fishing clams for striped bass. Even if you are the best caster in the world, if you apply too much force during the cast, your clams are going to end up in a different zip code than your hooks. So what good does the extra length do you?

I feel this way, but most guys don't. I think this is because old ideas die hard, and there's a macho thing at work here: guys think that more length = bigger, tougher fisherman. It isn't the case,

Posted by: Bill Colby (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 17, 2008 12:41PM

One is power and the other is length. Similar but different for similar but different reasons.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: April 17, 2008 04:34PM

I thought stiff flex was for accuracy, regular flex was for distance - no wonder my golf game is bad.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 17, 2008 07:28PM

I've found that a longer rod can aid you in casting soft baits like dough baits, chicken livers, crappie minnows, etc... Mine work better, (long rods), at 8 to 10 feet long for this purpose. I believe a longer rod can give you a longer acceleration to cast a delicate bait farther than a shorter rod, all else being equal, or close to it. You still must learn to get the most out of the length rod you are casting.

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 18, 2008 11:16AM

Mike I am 5'4" 140 medium build I can handle a 11ft. rod . but when it comes to a 16 footer I can't cast it as far as a 81/2 footer. I also have short arms. I even made both rods for sturgeon fishing so the reelseats are at a length I can handle. The only way this long rod can be cast by me is using the sling shot method. They use this style of casting on the Columbia River by the dams. They really use a sling shot. Columbia river guys tell them I am right and not lieing.
Good Wraps Bob

Date: April 18, 2008 05:23PM

Hey Bob

Do they use just any type of sling shot or is it made just for that use? I have a sling shot that is used for water ballons and i can send a ballon over 400yds. Wonder if i can use this for fishing too.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 18, 2008 05:36PM

The one I have seen are hooked to a bumper of a PU they coil the line in a bucket. They use bungy cord with a pouch to hold the lead and pull back and let fly. I have only seen this once. I live about 200 miles from the Columbia River dams
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: April 19, 2008 11:38PM

The customer is NOT always right, but they are still the customer. Is the customer right if he says the sun rises in the North? Lol...

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster