I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

200 RPM Finishing Motor Source
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: April 07, 2008 08:38AM

I'd like to build my own 200 rpm finishing machine. I'm having a little trouble finding a good 200 rpm 120VAC motor with a 1/4" shaft. If any of you have done this and know of such a motor please shoot me an email. (Or just shoot me! We got another 6" of snow overnight!)

I did talk to Bob at Custom Tackle. The FC motor is so outrageously priced he did not even want to tell me.

Thanks!!

Chuck

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 200 RPM Finishing Motor Source
Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: April 07, 2008 09:01AM

Chuck -- I left a message for Roger at Flex Coat to call me for the pricing of the 200 RPM motor. He was in and out on Friday. I am sure he will let me know this morning, as I have left a message with his co-worker to call me. I will let you know, just as soon as he lets me know the price.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Date: April 07, 2008 09:08AM

Hey Bob - Apparently I misunderstood while talking with you. My apologies.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 07, 2008 09:11AM

Chuck if you want to "Soar With The Eagles" you should consider coughing up the price for a nice pair of wings! You will be hard pressed, if you value your time, trying to duplicate THAT wheel! The system has NO flaws - be sure to ask the motor supplier if they have a touch slip clutch -

Gon Fishn

Date: April 07, 2008 09:41AM

I can get the FC clutch. I have two possible motors in mind - neither is ideal due to mounting/shaft size etc. Wheels are easy. I have 8' aluminum channel. Time? Yep, I see your point. But four hundred bucks is a lot of coughing!

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2008 10:35AM

Chuck -

The FM200 is a very well designed machine. You should listen to what Bill is telling you. While it is very easy to build your own dryer and/or epoxy mixer ... it is another thing to build something that operates properly at 200rpm.

There are three ways to get it done ... 1) spend the money; 2) buy a Pac Bay wrapper strictly for finishing AND it will also be available as a "backup" power wrapper AND dryer and; 3) buy a Dayton 1/15hp 5000rpm 1/4" shaft AC motor, wire in a rheostat to reduce it to 20% power AND build a shaft gear that is 20% of the size of the main gear, connected via a belt drive - now you are at 200rpm ... add slip clutch, wheels, framework, handrest, etc.

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2008 11:32AM

i would imagine if you wanted a motor that spins at 200 rpm a gear motor would do the trick google that or gearmotor 200 rpm or gear motor 200 rpm

Posted by: mike arnold (---.mannford.ok.mbo.net)
Date: April 07, 2008 06:49PM

www.velmex.com/in_stock_obsolete_motors.html I dont know if this will help but it might?

Date: April 08, 2008 09:54AM

Thanks for all the input. I've searched for and found several gear motors on the net - 150 to 200rpm motors are available for under $15. Now I just need to decide if it's worth my time at this point in the year.

Posted by: Gerald Guinn (---.knology.net)
Date: April 08, 2008 10:00PM

Chuck

We have an electronics surplus store here who has (or had) a bunch of 200 RPM motors at give away prices. He is in the process of liquidating his inventory so he may be closed by now.

If you are still interested mail me at @knology.net and I'll check it out.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: April 08, 2008 11:44PM

Gerald, please email me at chuckm615@gmail.com

I'm interested.

Thanks!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2008 12:38PM

C huck,
Rather than using an AC motor - use a DC motor and a DC power supply.
I have purchased many 24Volt DC gear motors over the internet on @#$%& and find that they work very very well.

In particular - if you find a pittman motor - they are virtually bullet proof. Normally, new they sell for $100-$200. However, on @#$%&, you can typically pick them up for under $20.
Then, if you pick up a variable voltage DC power supply that will supply voltage up to the rated voltage of the motor - you can dial in the speed of the motor to what ever you want.
Then, if you want, you can simply put a foot operated off and on switch on the motor so that you can hit the switch, stop the rod where you want, and then restart it if you want.
It works very slick indeed. I have built several of them and they are an excellent way to go.

For example - with an 11:1 gear ratio - the final output of the motor is about 500rpm at 24 volts. However, if you drop the voltage to 12 volts you will be in the 200 rpm range. This motor is husky and has a 1/4 inch shaft.

[]

Here is a fixed voltage DC supply. If you want to reduce the voltage, you can put a regulator at the output, or even a variable resistor in series with the motor to reduce the speed. That is one nice this about low voltage DC. It is easy to control, and DC motors speed is sensitive to voltage. Lower the voltage and reduce the speed. Raise the voltage and increase the speed.

Take care
Roger

[]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster