I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide weights
Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 01, 2008 07:27AM

I know this has been discussed in the past, but I can't seem to find the thread about this. How much actual difference is there between the hardaloy type guides and the SIC guides. I want to keep the weight down but not if I am only going to see a real minimal/not noticeable gain. I appreciate any info on this

Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide weights
Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: April 01, 2008 07:38AM

Haven't weighed Hardloy yet. Rarely use anything lesser than Alconite.

I have weighed and can confirm that standard SiC guides are 15% lighter than Alconites.

It is my understanding that Alconites are lighter than Hardloy.

The difference between Alconite and titanium framed SiC is just over 30% and I find that to be a very meaningful difference. Noticeable as soon as you pick up the rod.

If the difference between Hardloy and SiC were somewhere in that range, I highly encourage the SiC.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2008 08:53AM

Here's the scoop on Fuji 'Y' framed spinning guides ... Hardloy through Titanium SiC. The list is from heaviest to lightest.

Alconite w Chrome Plated S4 = 100%
Alconite w Black Chrome S4 = 93%
Hardloy w Black Chrome S4 = 86%
SiC w Gunsmoke S4 = 79%
SiC w Titanium Alloy = 57%

I did weigh #25 frames (3 each) on a gram scale and then divide to get the weight of a single guide. At that point, I did the math to calculate stepped reduction. I am not a scientist, but I figured that my methodology did reduce the margin of error.

This is not every Fuji spinning guide, but it is a solid sampling ... sorry, but this is all I stock.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 01, 2008 02:26PM

Hardloy lighter than Alconite? Wow.....

Date: April 01, 2008 02:58PM

It surprised me too. I only carry Hardloy for the budget minded and for repair work. Personally, I can't stand the pinkish gray ceramic. However, when it came time to weigh ... I tossed them in, knowing that they would weigh the most. Needless, to say - I was shocked.

I will be staying with Alconite and SiC Titanium Alloy as my "bread and butter" however. The Alconite guides have a much better finish on the frames, prepped feet, higher durability and prettier rings IMO.

Over and out ...

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 01, 2008 05:37PM

Jim thanks for taking the time to actually go through and weigh those guides. If find it pretty interesting, I wouldn't have figure the hardaloy to be lighter. So there is not really a lot of gain between standard SiC and the hardaloy. So if a guy wants a noticeable upgrade you gotta go to the real high end stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2008 07:46PM by Scott VanGuilder.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.206.175.24.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2008 12:05AM

Thank you Jim for that information.

That is very surprising info indeed.

I personally have switched away from fujis hardloy guides simply due to the color and a similar guide is half the price. I now use pac bay (hialoy) or amtack (halide) simply because they are not that weird purple color that matches nothing. It is my opinino that they are all fairly similar compounds and the price/performance difference is no longer enough to justify fuji over another brand.

I would be curious in the weight differences between the hialoy, halide and hardloy guides as for what I do, I tend to use these a lot. They are not top of the line, but they don't break my wallet and I get good performance from them. I do not get top of the line performance, but I do not expect to as well.

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: April 02, 2008 07:55AM

You can get Hardloy in Concept frames? Again...not very familiar with Hardloy as I just don't use lower than Alconites...

I ask because I've noticed that a size 25 spin guide in the standard frame is lighter than the Concept frame (same ring material) due to the frame height. But when you get down to the smaller guides the weights come closer together. So if these numbers are from different frame styles they aren't going to be accurate for comparison.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Date: April 02, 2008 08:37AM

Fuji makes Hardloy in both the old 'LV' style and the newer 'Y' style frame. I weighed the 'Y' style to keep the comparison chart appropriate - they are 100% the same height, width, depth, angle, etc. Hardloy is also available in 'L' style fly guides in black chrome.

Just for grins and giggles ... I just weighed #30 BYLG (Hardloy) and #30 BYAG (Alconite) guides, plus #16's, #10's and even the #7 fly guides. The Hardloy are still lighter than the Alconite.

Regardless, I personally think Alconite is the best value. I keep the Hardloy for repairs and for budget projects ... same reason that I keep the regular SiC guides now that Ti is available.

I generally offer just two choices ... Alconite in Black and Chrome OR SiC Titanium Alloy. My theory is that if you are going to spend the money on a custom rod, at least get Alconite AND if you are REALLY going to go at it ... might as well get the big dog, SiC Titanium.

I don't use guides from the other manufacturers. Simply due to the fact that I have never been disappointed with a Fuji product and my customers request and/or expect them.

Jim -

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 02, 2008 01:12PM

I too despise the pink gray colour of Hardloy, just ugh!!!! Just like Sean said, it matches absolutely nothing.
Let's also not forget that Fuji also do the Aluminium Oxide "O" ring in concept Y frames and fly single foot as well. These are available in chrome and black finishes also.
I've used the black finished ones and they held up fairly well.

Posted by: carl zmola (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 03, 2008 09:14AM

Jim Gamble Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's the scoop on Fuji 'Y' framed spinning
> guides ... Hardloy through Titanium SiC. The list is from heaviest to lightest.

Jim, Thanks for doing this.

Has anyone weighed the Titanium/Gold Cermet guides or solid titanium/sic guides?

Carl

Date: April 03, 2008 09:31AM

The weights I provided for SiC Titanium ARE the Alloy material NOT the plated stainless.

I will be happy to weigh and report on the Cermet Titanium guides. Please send three of each size, for accuracy. Samples cannot be returned ... LOL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster