I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

protective coat on a store bought rod
Posted by: Walter Pikta (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: March 30, 2008 07:41PM

Hello

I am a newbie here and I need some expert advice. I am a big Shakespeare Wonderod fan and bought one in the 60's and used it until the airlines lost it in1992. It was a 5'8" spincast rod with a one piece shaft and had a medium action. I am still looking for that one.
I did find one close to it that I will use in the meantime. It is in good shape along the whole length. I don't want to do anything but give it a good protective coat the entire length which is clear, high gloss, flexible and scuff resistant. I just plan to clean the rod with I guess soap and water (unless someone has got a better way ) and then apply the protective coat.
What would you guys recommend as I really want to protect this rod and when I find the right one, that one as well. I hear some people use uraethane, spar varnish, Diamondite, etc. .
I need the best one for a white fibreglass rod.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Walter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: protective coat on a store bought rod
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 30, 2008 08:43PM

Trondak U-40 makes 2, that can be purchased at Custom Tackle Supply, you could use for that purpose. 1 - PermaGloss, 2 - Diamond Plate. I'll let someone, who has used them more than I, explain their application. I just thought I'd bring them up for discussion.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2008 06:21AM

Permagloss for a tough non-yellowing finish.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 31, 2008 09:08AM

You want a thin, hard coating that adheres well. PermaGloss is usuall the ticket. Any good marine grade spar urethane would be good as well, but I seem to recall those rods were white and thus anything that tends to yellow won't look good for you. PermaGloss won't yellow on you one bit.

Check the archives here for more info on the best ways to apply it. I think the online library here also has some information on surface preparation.

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 31, 2008 11:25AM

Try Gudebrod Rod Restorer, I used it on a badly sunburned Ugly Stick , same family as the Wonderod, and it came back to life like it was new. Larry

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 31, 2008 01:17PM

Gudebrod Rod Varnish, Gudebrod Rod Speed Coat (applied with your finger), PermaGloss, and MinWax spray-on Urethane Spar, in no particular order.

As for cleaning, try the Erasere Pad from Wally World. Mr Clean brand were the first but are also the most expensive. You can buy them at the Dollar Store chain for - you guessed it - $1. Way better than just soap and water.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Date: April 01, 2008 01:05AM

THANKS very much guys

for chiming in and letting this newbie know about all these good protective coats. The most often mentioned seems to be PermaGloss, so I will check that out first. I will try Russ Pollack trick with the Erasure Pad for general cleaning.
In the mean time I had an OOPS ! The rod is white and clean, but on the windings and on a spot on the shaft where the fishing rod production number are, there was some yellowing coating. I think at one time something like varnish so was put on there to protect them. I decided to try to test clean the yellowing coat in a small area with a household cleaner and it seemed to come off pretty easy. I then tried it over the numbers and to my horror saw that the printed black numbers were starting to come off. I stopped that pretty quick and the numbers are still legible but not as crisp and black as they were before. Not Good ! I won't do that again. Question - Is there anyway to bring those numbers back - perhaps by carefully restoring them by painting. Is there any type of pen or tool that I can do that with. I certainly don't want to do any more damage.

Walter

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 01, 2008 03:46PM

Sharpie makes a super fine point pen that would probably do it, if you can find it. Try any local hobby store such as Hobby Lobby, Michaels, AC Moore, etc......... Hope you have a steady hand. If not contact Mike Barkley and have him explain to you how to make a cheap steady rest, as used by graphic artists and pin stripers.

Bill in WV

Date: April 02, 2008 02:07AM

Thanks William

I will go and check out that Sharpie. I think there is a store near me that carries that kind of stuff.
And thanks again to everybody who advised me on the protective coats for my Shakespeare Wonderod and how to clean the rod beforehand.

Much appreciated.

Walter
in Canada

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster