I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flats rods, Longer better?
Posted by: Ben Hurlstone (202.83.73.---)
Date: March 26, 2008 02:34AM

i have been thinking about this for a little while now but am yet to test it but here in australia alot of bream fishos have been chasing whitting (a small bone fish look-a-like, max size 45cm) on super shallow flats with small poppers, about 20mm-50mm long. the tackle mostly consists of roughly 7 foot 1-3kg light or ultra light spinning outfits, and 2-6lb braid or flurocarbon. we try to use the lighest stuff possible to get the greatest distance out of the very light lures due to being in knee deep water or less, the fish are really spooky.

so i was thinking wouldnt a longer rod like a 9 footer be better for casting these light lures with light line? would it not load better with the resistance made during casts with a longer rod sorta like a flyrod? or is there such a thing as too long?

Would love to hear your thoughts on the subject or even experiences seeing as i have been thinking about building one up to try next summer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2008 02:37AM by Ben Hurlstone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flats rods, Longer better?
Posted by: Charles Clayton (58.172.156.---)
Date: March 26, 2008 05:24AM

I’d suggest you might be limited by the lures air resistance rather than the speed at which you can launch it from the rod tip.
A lot of experimentation last year trying to throw a tassie devil lure maximum distance really didn’t really gain much distance going with a longer rod.

Posted by: Tom Slater (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 26, 2008 05:32AM

id say if you could sill move the longer rod as fast through the air then yes it would cast further but then it becomes the case of how long is to long

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 26, 2008 07:28AM

Depending on the weight and air resistance of the lures being tossed, there is a line of diminishing returns when it comes to rod length. Such is true for all rods. Too long and it is hard to accelerate the rod enough to impart enough energy to the lure. Plus it'll be too hard to work a lure that light with such a long rod, as it would have to be fairly whippy to cast, plus it'd be heaps heavier.

I'd say for UL flats fishing, you'd probably be looking at 7'6" to about 8' tops for light popper work. Simply because it's a more active method requiring more rod work, due to whiting liking a popper being moved at a good clip, while being jerked to pop and splash water.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: March 26, 2008 09:10AM

I like to fish bluegills and crappies, which would be close to your bream. I like to use a small jig 1/16 - 1/32 oz, the longer (10 foot) rod gives me a much better cast (plus it's a blast with a 10" gill) than I can with a shorter rod (6' UL). I have not been able to find a blank that I like as well as the production rods from BNM [www.bnmpoles.com] . They load extreamly well and cast like a dream, I have tried making a rod similar to the BNM's with a fly rod blank, but they do not cast as well. Fly rods just don't seem to have enough backbone for the job, and Steelhead blanks seem to have too much. I wish there was an inexpensive blank available in the 8' to 10' range that had the same action as the BNM's. If some one has a 8' to 10' rod blank that's similar for less than $60.00 please let me know. Thanks Mark

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: March 26, 2008 01:12PM

I don'lt think length is what makes the rod load. Lee Wulff used to push shorter rods for almost everything and he knew what he was doing. They tire you less and whip the fish faster.

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2008 02:39PM

I fish with longer rod ,over 10' build by me on fly fhishing blanks(ALL STAR AUSTIN,G.LOOMIS IMX,,ST.CROIX LEGEND ULTRA ,AVID,LAMIGLAS G1000 etc.) W4-11W . Using FIRELINE 4lb.+4lb. fluorocarbon leader i 've been catching fish over 40lb.with rod build on ALL STAR AUSTIN W5 .For this rods i was using SIC MATCH GUIDES MODEL "M"

If you choose the right blank you have enough backbone to handle the big fish

Date: March 27, 2008 01:25AM

We all know length works, and that the blanks are fishable and whip fish. They make the fight more fun. Let's get back to the post. Ben is asking about a technique specific flats rod. Throwing 1.5 to 2.5 inch poppers in the 1/8 oz weight range. Top it off that you have to retrieve the popper quite fast, with a lot of rod action. I don't see you doing that with a 10 foot rod for very long. Complicate that with wind, and having to keep the rod tip low so as to keep the line on the water, and you have a situation where 10 feet of rod would be as useful as a bike to a fish.

Posted by: Scott Taylor (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2008 10:09AM

To quote Ted a few posts up, "I'd say for UL flats fishing, you'd probably be looking at 7'6" to about 8' tops for light popper work. Simply because it's a more active method requiring more rod work, due to whiting liking a popper being moved at a good clip, while being jerked to pop and splash water." I whole heartedly agree, for flats fishing here in Florida my go to rod is a 7'6" popping blank (Lamiglas LP903) throwing 1/8 oz jigs. It can cast a very long distance and is very easy to work quickly.

On the other hand, I built a "noodle" rod on a 9' 8wt fly rod, throwing the same exact lure it was not favorable. It was hard to get a long cast and very difficult to work properly. Try a popping blank the 7'6" range, which you can find for ~$40 to see how you like it. I am sure you will.

-Scott

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 28, 2008 01:33PM

There is a light line popping rod out there, the Rainshadow IP 840 specifically designed for your line weights. The blank is very light and a joy to fish, but we don't have the flats your talking about where I live so I'm just thinking in the box that you could extend it 6 inches and give it a try. Rainshadows I'm told aren't hard to find down your way, so some local expertise with them would seem to have followed the rod blanks. Rain shadow also make the lightest 7 ft 6 in popping blank I know of in the IP 902, 6 to 12 lb line rated, 1/8 to 1/2 oz lures.

Date: March 28, 2008 04:36PM

Downside to those blanks is they're all 1 piece (shipping). Would love to see more multi-piece blanks across a wider range of models. Light popping rods, spin jigs, spin bass and you'd have me for life!!!

An extended IP840 or 841 would be just the ticket.

Posted by: Scott Taylor (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2008 05:12PM

Aye, there is a 3 piece 7'6" popping blank, available from a sponsor on "liquidation" Lamiglas LGC-IMP9033. Same blank as my favorite but a 3 piece. I think it is $90 though...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster