I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First bamboo blank
Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 20, 2008 12:18PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 14026

I'm now the owner of a bamboo fly rod blank with little knowledge about it. The blank appears to be well made and nicely finished. The ferrules are attached and a ferrule plug is furnished. The only writing appearing on the blank is: F/A 7656. I take the 76 to represent the length but I have no idea what the other initials and numbers mean. When testing the blank with the CCS method I find it is a slow action five # blank. The AA is 67 and the ERN is 6.08. The blank also weighs in at 3.2 ounces.

My last bamboo rod was a Granger Victory given to me as a High School graduation present by my father in 1950 and from that time my rods evolved through the fiber glass rods of Fenwick to the present graphite models. This leaves me at a loss to know how to build this blank.

From the information I've given I would be interested in any information or speculation about the blank as to its origin and purpose. If I decide to build it into a rod I'll most likely build it with state of the art components rather than what many would describe as classic. I've built 50 plus rods of various types on graphite and glass blanks but this is the first cane blank I've considered and I'm open to your thoughts or ideas.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First bamboo blank
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 20, 2008 01:52PM

You can measure it and see if those first two numbers are the length in inches or feet (76 inches versus 7 feet 6 inches).

It would be a powerful 5-weight at most average to long distances, and fish nicely with a 6-weight line inside of 30 feet or so. I suspect the last two digits intended to show it as a 5/6 weight line rod. The CCS numbers would seem to indicate it would work well that way.

I would have no idea where it came from or who made it, but from the fact that it carries AFTMA type numbers instead of the old line diameter ratings, I'm going to assume that it was made after about 1962.

Date: March 20, 2008 02:07PM

Tom,
Thanks for the info. I tend to believe it is of a more recent build. as well. The man that gave it to me had it for 10 years and never took time to build on it. It comes in a heavy clothe rod sock that only has two compartments so I believe it was sold as a single tipped blank.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT

Posted by: Sean Herrera-Thomas (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 20, 2008 10:27PM

Stan,

I believe it was Partridge of Redditch that used to market a line of blanks as "Fast Action," as opposed to "British Action," that were available through Angler's Workshop, among other places. I do remember that a 7'6" 5/6 wt configuration was available in either action; unless I am completely off-base, I also think the catalog code listed them as either FA 7656 or BA 7656.

Anyway, that's my guess.

Sean

Date: March 21, 2008 12:25AM

Sean,
Thanks for your information. It gives me some real clues to check out and certainly appears to make sense. Angler's Work shop is the major supplier to a lot of folks in this area as well.
Stan

Stan Grace
Helena, MT

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster