I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly rod reel seats
Posted by: Gavin Schar (---.saix.net)
Date: March 20, 2008 02:38PM

Hi All, I am looking for top of the line, nothing but the best out there, nickle silver up-locking reel seats with wood inserts. I am building on an ultra light blank so I would like the real seat to be as simple as possible to minimise uneccessary weght.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Gavin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly rod reel seats
Posted by: Dennis Scott (---.dhcp.rdng.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 20, 2008 02:47PM

Check out Rec components under the sponsors listing. They make quality reel seats and are a pleasure to do business with.

Regards Dennis Sco†t

Posted by: Walt Natzke (---.dhcp.trlk.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 20, 2008 05:24PM

I concur on REC.

You have multiple options for a lightweigt seat.

My recommendations are:

NBGS Hooded uplocking Nickel-Silver:
[www.reelseats.com]

NBS Uplocking Nickel-Silver:
[www.reelseats.com]

Since weight is a factory, you may want to consider the aluminum seats that REC makes.
Their aluminum version of the NBS, the ABS is outstanding:
[www.reelseats.com]

Hope that helps,

Walt

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 20, 2008 10:27PM

Gavin,

Do you want the best reel seat, or the most expensive/prettiest?

REC for the latter, Fuji cushioned hood graphite for the former (lighter, holds the reel better, won't corrode or warp, ugly as sin).

Buddy

Posted by: Gavin Schar (---.saix.net)
Date: March 21, 2008 01:55AM

Hi Chaps,

Thanks for your views. Have done a fair amount of business with REC in the past and always been really happy with their quality. Have a look also at [www.genuinebellinger.com] ULTB660 or [www.venneris.com] SMALL UPLOCKING 21/32. Think the bellinger is sweet but as you say may weigh a tad more!

Gavin

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: March 21, 2008 02:55AM

I really love Robert Venneri's seats but I am not sure if they are still available(I don't think they are).Fortunately I managed to squirrel away a good number of them(lots of Esopus and other Uplocking models) for my own personal rods.

The Bellinger ULSBN and ULSBDN seats are really stunning seats for lighter rods,especially with the stabilized black ash,amboyna,maple burl,or box elder burl inserts,and they are quite light(the ULSBN is a little slimmer in the butt and a hair lighter in weight).Since Venneri's Up Slide models are no longer available these are my chosen seats now for shorter 4wt and under rods.

I also like many of the REC seats,especially the NSGX style seats with the rope knurl pattern and upgraded to the nicer burl wood inserts.These would probably be my choice for longer(on shorter rods I prefer a slide band style of seat) 4wt-6wt rods now.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2008 11:31AM

Venneri is the best for me

I also like the Strubles if I turn the insert.

Posted by: John V. Holohan (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2008 07:08PM

Check out Mark Shamburg's work on rodbuildingforum.com. He makes a really nice, unique reel seat. The guys that have used his seats on that site are very satisfied with them.

John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster