I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Triple wrap or not to triple wrap?
Posted by: Scott Mohlenbrok (---.area1.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 19, 2008 03:50PM

Hello Everyone,

Newbie here. I am building an 7' AM GFW (6-18lb.) for my kayak. Do I need 2 wraps over the guides on this one? How do I know when to triple and when not to triple? Thank you all for getting me addicted, by the way!

Scott
Newbie in Seal Beach

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Triple wrap or not to triple wrap?
Posted by: Jeff Shields (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: March 19, 2008 04:15PM

I've actually never done any more than a double overwrap on any rod to date, and that was on a tuna rod, 130 lb. class. If it's an 18 lb. rig, you only need a single wrap then just coat it well with epoxy to make sure none of the threads can get nicked or damaged from being bumped around on the yak. Honestly single wraps can handle pretty much anything you can throw at them, but many builders will do a double, or even rarely triple, on the rigs that are for catching the big boys, tuna, marlin, etc. OR if you know the rod is going to spend a lot of time against a boat rail, then a double or triple might not be out of the question. In your case, single will be more than sufficient.

Date: March 19, 2008 04:46PM

Okay, I am the new guy with the bad terminology. I actually meant single or double wrap over the underwrap. Sorry about the confusion but hey, that's why I am new. The rod is for inshore saltwater fishing off a kayak. Also, at what level should I always double wrap? I plan on building a few bost rods for albacore and yellowtail.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: March 19, 2008 04:52PM

I think Jeff was hearing you right, you mean the # of wraps securing the guide, right? If so then a single wrap is more than enough. Like Jeff said double wraps are used on very large stand up rods with high frame rollers. Other than that a single wrap is more than enough.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 19, 2008 04:59PM

You don't need an underwrap. A single wrap with A thread will be more than enough. On a rod like that, all you will accomplish with extra layers is to add weight to the rod.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2008 10:37PM

without the underwrap make sure the guide foot is prepped well and wont scratch the top of your fingernail when it is run over it.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Scott Taylor (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2008 11:03AM

Scott,

Don't worry about anything special, a single wrap with no underwrap is fine. I also fish from a kayak down here in Florida and have zero problems with this technique on my rods. I just use 2 coats of Thread Master Lite and go fishing.

P.S. Even my buddies who build tarpon rods (fish over 100lbs) don't use an underwrap or double wrap.

Date: March 20, 2008 04:13PM

Thanks everyone! Appreciate the input and tolerating the new guy.

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 20, 2008 10:23PM

Scott,

Just to add some more to this;

Other than cosmetics or 'abuse', I can't think of a reason to use an underwrap on ANY rod that a fisherman will hold while fighting a fish.

It's not stronger, not 'better', and certainly is detrimental to the performance of the rod (maybe only a little, but still there).

Prep the guide foot properly. Wrap the foot to the blank. Finish the wrap.

Now, if the rod will be used by a ham handed clumsy lumox with no respect for his equipment, that's another matter. They sell kevlar thread.....

Buddy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2008 10:24PM by Buddy Sanders.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster