I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

foam core pour report...
Posted by: Terry LaValle (---.ips.paulbunyan.net)
Date: March 09, 2008 11:24PM

So I left High Point with the Scott and JP seminar on mind and how I could incorporate that into my current foam core endeavors...

I took a spin off from Scott and the gram scale method he uses and turned that in to a syringe cc method. I aslo liked the idea of a threded rod tie/clamp version with a sleeve that he had going on at his table.

So, here is what I can report on what I have produced to be my best do far.

using a 1 1/4 diameter pvc with a length of 12" I have worked my way up to 33 ml's of each part a & b. I whipped it with a drill wide open using a paint stir attachment for 45 seconds. (it's been said that a good stir is key and today I will agree whole heartedly)

Poured the mold and 25 minutes later - woala! no flakes, no air voids, no nothing. A good, stiff mold. For those of you who are not getting ideal pours - trapping the pressure might be something to experiment with...

buying this stuff from a vendor might certainly be the most economical option.... but for those of you who have made it a quest, I suggest to start experimenting using a syringe. I bought 60 ml syringes for $1.25 each at my local drug store. Surely at some point too much of the a/b mixture will produce a failure. I'll wait to take that science lab outside once the weather warms!!! For now 33ml of each is the ticket.

please remember this is only one guys .02

For you science techies : room temp was 64.9 (f) and humidity was 22%

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: foam core pour report...
Posted by: Rich Gassman (71.237.10.---)
Date: March 09, 2008 11:55PM

Hi Terry, I had also tried the large syringe CC method. I found that since I bought a gallon of the foam that the syringes would not go deep enough after a while without having to tip the can. I went and bought some quart plastic bottles with yorker caps and a small plastic funnel. I fill the bottles and use the little mixing cups. I think the yorker caps work pretty well. I use a ounce of each and get a inch and a half by twelve inch core at seventy five degrees. Great to hear your cores turned out well. I think the stirring with a drill made most of the difference for me also. Have a great day, Rich.

Re: foam core pour report...
Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 10, 2008 07:59PM

I'm working on a mold made of copper 1 1/2 x14" that will have a removable cap. The rod will extend through the cap and the cap will have a 1/4 inch hole on top to release pressure. I'll see how it goes I'm still in the building part of it and have to get my foam. I hope it's not a bomb!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster