I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Boring Cork
Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.)
Date: March 04, 2008 09:01AM

What would be a good tool for boring cork with? High speed or low speed?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Boring Cork
Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: March 04, 2008 09:05AM

low speed, brad point bit. not sure what power tool you're planning to use. I'm assuming you are boring unbored cork blocks?

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: March 04, 2008 09:06AM

Get a cork drilling clamp from Fish sticks 4u and use a brad point bit at high speed in a drill press. Excellent set up.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 04, 2008 09:13AM

It depends on what you're wanting to do. For just enlarging the bore on single cork rings, a good twist drill (I like brad points with edge spurs) spun at 2000 rpm will do fine. I'm assuming here that you need to do more than just ream them for a quick fit and that you're boring them one at a time.

If you need to bore a ring for a reel seat hood inlet, Dan Craft has a great inletting tool that works extremely well. Comes with several different sized cutting blades, too. Or, you can do as some do and just trace the outline of the hood and remove the material with a dremel tool. The former is much neater and quicker, the latter probably cheaper if you don't count your time.

If you need to enlarge the bore of an entire cork grip, nothing would be faster or cleaner than the reverse pilot bits shown in the Volume 9 #5 RodMaker. You will have to rework a long spade bit and grind new cutting edges on the reverse side, but the article shows how to do this in fine detail. Once done, you can zip out a nice, smooth bore in mere seconds and keep everything centered at the same time.

You can always ream rings to the same relative size by putting some tape on a reamer where you need to stop. Check the Flex Coat DVD called "How We Do It" to see Roger Seiders making quick work of this process.

Posted by: Ed Sabatini (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 04, 2008 10:12PM

The tool shown in Rodmaker is the ticket. Get an old spade bit but make sure it's the long shank style. It doesn't have to be sharp because you won't be using the regular cutting edges. You shape new sloped cutting edges on the BACK side of the bit. I don't have those specs in front of me but do it like the article says and you'll be boring L - O - N - G cork grips in seconds. No other tool I've used cuts them as true and clean as these do.

You can also buy these now from Flex Coat but they're so easy and inexpensive to make you might as well make up your own shop set from some old spade bits. If you know any woodworkers you might ask them for donation of their old worn out ones.

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.)
Date: March 05, 2008 09:25AM

Duh. I had the article right here all along. Only had short shank spade bits but managed to find a bit extender and used that to get all the way through the entire length. Reground the back edges as indicated and it worked as promised. Thanks. I should have searched a little more before bothering you guys.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.coi.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 05, 2008 01:15PM

I've tried the Flex Coat pilot type spade bits on long cork grips. They work okay, not great. The pilot is too short IMO to stay centered and the spade cut is rough. Might not be an issue if you plan to do some final reaming though.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 05, 2008 01:33PM

A spade bit will not be ideal for cutting cork. It'll work, but tends to tear rather than cut the soft cork. The Flex Coat pilot bits were intended for use on their urethane reel seat arbors and they do indeed work very well for that purpose.

The tool we're talking about here is made from a spade bit, but what you end up boring with is not a spade bit. The regular spade bit cutting edges are not used for boring the cork, only the new tapered rear cutting edges which you will have to grind for yourself. The specifics are in the article. You'll find it to work extremely well for boring cork grips.

Posted by: Dan L Craft (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: March 07, 2008 11:29AM

Our Crafty's Cutter is possibly the best tool for inletting cork for uplock seats. You can view our video at Utube or e-mail me for a copy at info@dancraftent.com
I have been much happier with my results since I switched to Craft'ys Cutter but admittedly, I am biased.

Dan Craft
Dan Craft Enterprises
www.dancraftent.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster