I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

waterloo rods
Posted by: Daniel Burney (---.29.172.72.ip.alltel.net)
Date: February 27, 2008 01:24PM

anyone here use a waterloo rod? My nephew wants one. I went to the waterloo web site, but they dont disclose the manufacture of the rod blanks they use, other than it is USA made.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: waterloo rods
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 27, 2008 02:31PM

I think those rods are made by Ryan Seiders, son of Roger Seiders at Flex Coat. I have no idea who he sources his blanks from. The Seiders don't usually do anything halfway.

Posted by: Aaron Dent (---.frame.cavtel.net)
Date: February 27, 2008 03:54PM

That actually came up in conversation with Roger at the show last weekend. Evendently his son started the company as Tom stated but has since sold it. I wish i had more information for you. It does seem odd to me that they would be under contract not to disclose a blank manufacturer..i have never heard of anything like that..

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2008 04:59PM

Aaron, nowhere in the above posts does it mention that they are under a contract not to disclose their source for their blanks. I'm sure if they wanted to they would, but face it, if It was my company I wouldn't want to disclose my sources either. Lots of companies choose not to disclose that kind of information for proprietary reasons. If every rodbuilder were to know what blanks they used I'm sure their sales would suffer because of it and that's not what they're in business for.

Date: February 27, 2008 05:22PM

That, and the fact that many companies are trying to build a brand identity. They want their rods to be associated with what they're doing, not a blank manufacturer.

Then you've got the problem that Loomis ran into some years ago. They were building blanks for Cabelas (Fish Eagle) and so folks got the idea that a Fish Eagle blank was identical to a G. Loomis blank (not even close).

Date: February 27, 2008 06:01PM

its a moot point, but my post said they wont disclose their blank manufacturer. on their website is where they say they are under contract.

on a side note, since they are only 3 hrs away from me, I wrote them an email inquiring to the possibility of touring their shop. theres a post in here somewhere of someone that visited a mass produced rod building facility. As a beginner rod builder/decorator, I thought maybe doing this would be a good way of getting tips, and learning different techniques.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. THEY'RE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN THE STAIRS.

Date: February 27, 2008 06:10PM

By all means, if they'll let you in, go. You'll enjoy the heck out of it.

Posted by: shawn storey (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2008 09:44PM

i thought waterloo's used to brag about using g. loomis.....or was it kistler or laguna's....damn can't remember for sure

Date: February 27, 2008 10:22PM

$205 for a built rod, so I doubt they are high dollar blanks.

Posted by: Noel Spann (---.26.109.12.cablerocket.net)
Date: February 28, 2008 11:45AM

Daniel,
I sent you an email.
On a side note, I am good friends with the current owner of Waterloo. We have been friends for a VERY long time now and he wont even tell me what blanks he uses...and trust me I've caught him at some pretty weak moments when large quantities of adult beverages were involved and he still wont tell me!!! Hahahaha!! I was just at his shop yesterday and they are very, very busy with tournament season starting and plus they own a tournament series down there so, if he can squeeze you in and get you a tour he will. He is a very approachable guy and will go out of his way to help.
Thanks,
Noel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster