I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another factory spiral wrap
Posted by: Tom White (---.tvc-ip.com)
Date: February 22, 2008 02:16PM

I'm doing a rewrap on a Berkeley Tactics Downrigger Edition 8'6" 2pc factory-built spiral rod, medium-fast action. The butt guide is 22" above the reel face, there are two bumpers, and the 180 is located 24 1/4" from the butt guide. The second bumper is "conveniently" located on the female ferrule on the butt section. There are a total of 12 guides. The static test as it is now looks very ugly. With the first 180 located so far up on the tip section, doesn't that effectively take most of the butt section out of play? I use about 12" between butt guide and first 180 on similar rods.
Tom White

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another factory spiral wrap
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: February 22, 2008 03:12PM

Tom, just my opinion but if you don't like the guide placement then change it to what you want or what it should be. remember that when you remove the guides it will have visible signs that the guides where there, so you may have to do something to hide the spots where the guides sat.

Posted by: Tom White (---.tvc-ip.com)
Date: February 22, 2008 03:47PM

Tim,
I plan on moving the guides to a setup that will work for me, but was just wondering what the concept behind the original setup could have been.
Thanks,
Tom White

Posted by: John Whiteside (64.25.150.---)
Date: February 22, 2008 09:13PM

Not all spiral wraps are simple spiral..... take a llok at the Acid rod web site. It will explain the different types. Some rod builder make the transition slowly, rather than the simple spiral method.

Posted by: Tom White (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2008 10:33PM

John,
I agree, there's a million ways to do a spiral wrap, but on a moderate to medium fast downrigger rod, I like to get my butt guide, 2 bumpers, and the 180 into about 12 or 13 inches to get as much lifting power out of the butt section as I can. The rod in question just seems like a really odd setup with the first 180 guide 46 inches away from the reel. Maybe that was all the rage back then. Who knows.
Tom White

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.dsl.dynamic.nccray.com)
Date: February 22, 2008 11:55PM

I can see on a moderate or slow actioned rod where you might want to do that (get the line to the underside quickly).

That said, I do have two personal custom 9' moderate action rods (they're actually fly rod blanks I made into some trolling rods) set up with the 0, 60, 120, 180 spiral that I've used for years now. They seem to work just fine. The line loads each guide at the chosen spacing and seems to cause no problems.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pns.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 23, 2008 01:05PM

Is that a factory Berkeley or a factory Berkeley that someone rewrapped a la spiral? I have rewrapped a lot of factory rods spiral and they look just like 'factory'.

I think that I saw a Shimano factory rod spiral wrapped some time ago. It was a true spiral with 5 guides; one at 0, the next at 45. 90.135, then 180 then the tip. Looked weird. I'll look it up.

Posted by: Tom White (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2008 01:41PM

Charlie,
I'm told it was bought that way, and I can't find any evidence that it was rewrapped. The same guy had me replace a guide on a Berkley Technique Downrigger rod last year, same story on that one.
Tom White

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pns.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 23, 2008 08:25PM

I asked because I was curious. How old is that rod or do you know?

During my research, I couldn't find but one factory built spiral and it was as I described in my previous post. Thanks for the info. I learn something new every day.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster