I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Custom Bass Fishing Rods
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 20, 2008 06:47AM

Several books could be written on this - trying do do an outline to present a thought process.

The technology of high modulus, lightweight, extra fast taper and even "nano" technology is available from manufacturers in current blank listings. Blanks with these features cost more and are may not be as durable as other blanks.

Custom builders will utilize all available technology to built a better rod. Custom builders tend to use the high end cost selections to achieve that end.

Successful production rod builders market rods that are profitable. They "do what they gotta do" to satisfy their market and make a profit.

Bass fishing market could be the single largest market for fishing rods. There are numerous posts on Rodbuilding.org detailing a myriad of problems custom rodbuilders have when dealing with Bass fishermen. One example:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Many custom builders will easily come to the conclusion the poor techniques used by the bass fisherman are the root cause of the problem.

Surprisingly enough, the Bass Fisherman is the Customer and his NEED should be met. The following is one post on the above thread with only a few of the words changed.

No matter which way you tend to cut it if the rod length, modulus, power and action correct, the camera is on, sunglasses are in place, the pearly white teeth are shinning, his biceps are in focus, the stump is solid or fish is too big and he is wearing his official shirt with all the patches - the rod caught a big fish and he took the huge check home to his lovely wife!

The successful and profitable production rod companies who deal primarily with bass fishermen have solved the riddle in two ways. Some have chosen to deliver a rod whose price is based on an extremely high warranty return rate using light, high modulus sensitive blanks that are extremely fragile. Other production companies have chosen to deliver a rod, which exhibits reliable features in a durable cost effective manner. The current state of the bass rod market is in the process of sorting out the method of business that will be ultimately successful.

Many custom builders attempt to cross link the choices and attempt to provide a high-end rod at prices that do not include the required warranty replacement multiplier. How many custom builders would deliver a custom rod to a customer knowing up front the he may be requred to replace the rod 2.1 times.

Visit the Swampland Booth at the ICRBE and take a look at an option that may give the custom builder a better chance of operating on a level playing field when dealing with bass fishermen.

See you on the Show Place Floor

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Custom Bass Fishing Rods
Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2008 01:10PM

Do you have a GLX type blank that will take a beating like fiberglass?

Stan

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2008 01:21PM

They don't make a GLX type blank that will take a beating like fiberglass

Date: February 20, 2008 01:25PM

Sorry Steve but that is what Bill's post sounds like to me.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 20, 2008 01:41PM

Hi Stan I really tried hard to make a point in a simple way.

You are correct - examples you note are on target - those two do not match up and never will

Some custom builders may choose to use the highest technology for this market and normally suffer the consequences of high blank breakage.

Many good builders will just evade working with a bass fisherman altogether.

The successful production builders in the bass market understand that the techniques the fisherman use must be dealt with with the proper blank for the task at hand. Hookset is hookset and so on ---

Some do it quite effectively -

I see no reason the custom builders should not do the same.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2008 01:45PM by Bill Stevens.

Date: February 20, 2008 01:57PM

Bill thanks for clearing that up.

Stan

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 20, 2008 11:46PM

Bill - spot-on. We've had several Bass folks as customers. Their demands might be very specific, but they can be met with patience and fair pricing. Oddly enough, they are willing to pay a fair price for their sticks because the realize that if you can build them a better rod, they have more chance of winning.

You might need to consider that these guys are tough on rods, period. It doesn't matter what actually happened, but you have to be preapred to back up your product. We deliverdd one rod to a fellow and he tested it in his backyard. He was skeptical at first, but then he got the idea that we had built what he had asked for, and in the bargain he had to work less to use it. But the first quesstion his wife asked when we went in the house was - "did he break it yet?". Later on that day he landed a 4-1/2lb fish in a 30kt wind on a flat in a river about 100 miles up the road. What we got waws "nice job". Coming from him, that's as good as it gets.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: February 21, 2008 12:54PM

Man, why's my post gotta be used as the example? LOL

The one thing I have noticed is that a lot of the bass guys out there really see their rods as tools wanting them bare bones (no crosswraps, etc) - definitely the preference around here.

Yes, bass fishermen are tough on their stuff, but at the same time as whole are an incredibly brand loyal group which makes them valuable customers. Watch them - certain truck, certain boat, certain jig, certain crankbait.... you turn your rods into that "certain brand" rod they live by and you have a customer for life and a lot of times one heck of a marketing tool. These are the kind of folks other companies spend lots of cash to get on board because they know the value of brand loyalty.

I'd think it would pay the custom builder to adapt and meet the customer need as appropriate.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net.176.28.72.in-addr.arpa)
Date: February 21, 2008 01:46PM

You're going to love this one... I just got my new Bassmaster magazine...

Article: "10 Bad Mistakes BASSers Make"

MIstake #6: : "They don't properly fight fish. Martens is also a fanatic about fighting fish properly once you have them hooked. "Too many fisherman don't keep good pressure on the fish," he says. "They should be reeling as hard as the line and hooks will allow.""

Forget the rod!

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2008 11:06PM

Alex,
The name of the game in Tournament fishing is NOT loosing fish. Everything else is secondary. Heck, you wouldnt beleive what some of us drive our boats through if we think we can get one more fish. You are right on the brand loyalty. I am fortunate that I fish a lot of tournaments, run tournaments, and am involved at my dealership and at the state level w/ tournaments. This gives me that in with my customer base. I personally try to go fishing with a customer if at all possible so they can try my rods and I can see how they like to fish, it really helps when selecting components, etc. I really think it would behoove a lot of builders to get out an fish with even a group of club guys sometime. If you want to build good bass rods you need to understand the subtleties of the techniques and what each lure requires.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 21, 2008 11:39PM

Scott,

The main problem in Bass fishing on a competitive level, and this is what drove me away from it, is the fact that no one wants to share information!!! When it comes to a sport where there is money to be won, you're gonna be hard pressed to get anyone to tell you anything. Especially if they think that you're gonna share something that's gonna get them out fished. The reason I got into club Bass fishing was to learn. I learned really quickly that there was FAT CHANCE of that happening.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net.176.28.72.in-addr.arpa)
Date: February 22, 2008 02:05AM

Scott,

Trust me, I know! Fish local club, started BFL, and on Skeeter Team so pretty familiar with bass fishing.

You should have seen what I was driving my boat through two weekends ago... and that was for fun fishing!

I just thought the article was funny given the huge debates put here about hooksets, etc. I won't mention the other article I came across where it talks about how to set the hook on a jig... :) That might rev some folks up!

I echo your comments. I'd never try to build an offshore rod. I know nothing about it. My original post (the one referenced above) was because I'm unfamiliar with many of the blanks out there.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2008 06:48AM

Alex, I hear ya about the hookset discussions. Some of these flyfisherman need to spend some time with a bass club. Like you said, I dont fly-fish, so who am I to tell someone they are doing it wrong.

Bill, I am lucky that my club is good about sharing info and helping eachother learn. I know that I wouldnt be fishing at the level I am if it werent for the other guys in my club. But you are right, it is a rare thing.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2008 09:53AM

too can eco Scotts experiences with club fishing.

When I started club fishing back in 1980 or 81 I knew nothing about fishing, had one 2 piece fiberglass rod that you could hardly tell a fish was on.

Virtually every thing I learned about bass fishing I learned from club members, and it's still that way today.

The members in our club will not only share info. They will share it before the tournament. The attitude in our club is that when one member's skills improve the whole club's skill level improves.

We even have a short "technique specific" education session at each meeting. Were the person that is best at a technique will explain /teach the others how and what he does that makes him successful at it.

The results: My club's six man team won the 2007 FLW NC southern regional tournament championship, with my tournament and club partner going on to win the State individual championship, myself placing 16th out of 280+ competitors.
Being part of a good Bass club definitely has its advantages.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster