I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flippin Stick Blank Options
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.42.214.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: February 15, 2008 08:31PM

Hey folks, I'm putting together some options for the makings of a good flipping stick and the only blank I am familiar with for this is a Loomis FS904.

What blanks are comparable/better to this, from the other folks like Lamiglass, Batson lines, St. Croix, etc?

Gotta be 7'6" max, one piece only.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flippin Stick Blank Options
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 15, 2008 09:22PM

check email mick

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: February 15, 2008 09:32PM

These are all one piece -- Batson RX7 IFS904 -- Lamiglas IM92 5F -- Lamiglas IM 92 6F -- Loomis FS904 IMX -- St. Croix 3C76MHMF -- We carry all of these. They are all a little different from each other in various power and action. Folks that are die-hard, true flippers have their own views and thoughts of how various flippin sticks should perform under certain flippin circumstances and applications. Just a few examples for instance, light cover, med. cover, heavy cover, stumps, blow-down tress, sparce to heavy weed growth, reeds, cat-tails, etc. Then there are opinions of whether a moderate, mod/fast or fast rod is wanted. What type baits are going to be used for a particular rod and under the conditions mentioned. I try to ask all the questions in order to place the best stick or sticks in the hands of the angler to meet his requirements. I have some customers that may own several different flippin sticks to adjust to what conditions may arise at any body of water. Just contact me if I can be of any further help.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2008 09:34PM by Custom Tackle Supply.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 15, 2008 10:27PM

If you are going to be doing some heavy cover flipping, I think the blank Bob suggested from Lamiglas the IM 92 6F is your best choice. In the middle of setting up one for myself right now and think I am going to really like it. Will be a nice rod too for throwing that frog over the matts too.

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2008 06:39AM

Mick , if you are going to be at the show , check out CTS

Robert

Date: February 16, 2008 06:41AM

Bob this stuff has sure come a long way in a very short time. Flippin, pitching, trick worm, finesse worm, punch, grass, frog, swim and one million anglers opinions will all not be settled with one telescoping rod anymore. Now they want 10 rods laying in the boat to pick up after they look at the side winding sonar!

Date: February 16, 2008 08:02AM

Bill -- You have nailed it. 10 rods laying on the deck of the boat and 10 more in the rod locker. The bass fishing techniques are numerous for sure. For every specific technique, you can also have 2, 3 or 4 different rods for that particular technique. Those fellows that believe that way are definately the ones that I truly appreciate. If they need 3 differnt rods to flip or pitch with, 2 rods to shakey head with, 3 crankin rods, 2 spinner bait rods, 2 carolina rig rods, 2 jerk bait rods, 2 topwater rods, 3 jig and worm rods rods, a frog rod, 2 other finesse rods, 2 swim bait rods, etc. All these different techniques and then the multiple specific rods for those techniques,that can help a rod builder sell up to 25 rods or better for the modern day bas fisherman. Helps out the ole rod building supply man too!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2008 08:05AM by Custom Tackle Supply.

Date: February 16, 2008 08:17AM

Mick -- I forgot and left out an ole standby, that Loomis has. We've used this blank for a flippin stick for years, when none of the companies were even making a one piece model that was truly designated for flippin. This is a darn good, proven one for sure and it is overlooked by being in a light saltwater/liver bait catagory. The L904GL3 G*Loomis. For lots of rods, we look outside of what they are listed for and take into consideration what they can really be used for. Most all blanks are multi-task sticks. That is where I have a leg up. I have the access to all these blanks to touch, feel, handle, flex and think about what other rods they would be good for, rather than just what one particular company catorgorizes them for. This is true of many, many blanks. More and more custom rod builders are finding they would be much better off to actually ask the type questions you have aksed and receive some suggestions, that trying to filter thu all the many, many blanks that are out ther nowadays. At my shop, we encourage rod builders to contact us, call me or e-mail me and let's discuss all the possible options available. There is generally a blank that works for a application and some would overlook it becuase of the catagory the manufacturer has placed the blank in.

Date: February 16, 2008 08:36AM

Bob the weather is lousy and we are in the camp waiting for the front to blow through. This type of thread sure gets more attention from the fishermen who buy rods than the routine morning news. Keep the fingers nimble and let us hear more of your thoughts - what about a shakey head CASTING rod blank? If you can keep the flow going for awhile I will see if I can keep the wind blowing where we can stay in all day and sell some rods instead of hunting for fish and bouncing around.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.42.30.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: February 17, 2008 09:28AM

Thanks guys. Turns out that my guy actually needs a pitching rod rather than flipping. Seems he had the two methods mixed up.

Date: February 17, 2008 10:10AM

Mick -- Again there are several thoughts for pitchin. Most want a 7 ft. rod. They will pitch various size batis, so you need to adjust for the range of baits he will pitch and the type of cover he would be pitchin at. Pitchin rods are mainly built form mag bas type blanks. Med-Hvy for the lighter type baits being pitched and heavy mag bas for the heavier baits being pitched. All the companies that you have made mention of, offer these type blanks -- Batson, Lamiglas, G*Loomis and St. Croix. You would then need to go back and figure out which price range he would like to stay within, because these companies off the same type blanks in several differnt price point levels. Sometimes what a customer wants to pay for a rod, will make your choice of selecting a blank much easier. Another thing to remember, is the highest price blank is not always the best choice. Pitchin sticks can tend to be abused. Some of the highest price blanks do not hold up to the gorilla style hook-set shock that is applied to a rod, when a guy hits a fish at just a few feet away from the boat. Ask your customer some qustions and figure out how he treats hius equipment. You may find that he can respect and use a high-modulus blank and on the other hand the berst choice may be a mid-modulus range blank. Then there are the fellows that you are better off passing on and let them go purchase a rod they can return to the outlet they purchased it from, due to their lack of knowledge and respect of how a rod can be treated, used or abused. These "Rough-House" fishing apes are not the customers that you want. Re-building rods will break you. Let's face it, the vast majority or rod failure is due to operator error, not a faulty rod blank.

Date: February 17, 2008 01:43PM

Pass the hot biscuits and the red eye gravy -

Gettin bettr n bettr!

Decode of last message - his last post says don't sell Bubba Basser no blue SCV drop shot rod!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2008 01:46PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Miles Hardenstein (---.scsnet.com)
Date: February 19, 2008 06:52AM

If it's a pitching stick that your customer is in the market for, then I would suggest the Graphite USA DHX 704. Every person that I've known that's had one has been more than completely satisfied.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster