I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Is 4 coat Permagloss enough for saltwater stick?
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2008 01:25PM

Sorry to post this basic question but I did a search and came up with no answers. I found posts about 2-3 coats for freshwater.

Rebuilt a 15-40 lbs saltwater rod. Feels more like a stick....LOL.

Is 4 coats of Permagloss enough over the A threads? Obviously it'sll take a lot more strain than most freshwater rods.

Thanks,
Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is 4 coat Permagloss enough for saltwater stick?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2008 04:52PM

Permagloss is extremely hard and abrasion resistant. Extremely. Most likely it's enough, but I doubt you have much of any build up on the threads. Just for additional protection I might be tempted to go with an additional coat or two. It's thin stuff, won't add much weight and you're working with a pretty beefy stick as it is.

Date: February 15, 2008 05:48PM

Thanks Tom. Weight is of not concern. I just got tired of painting on layers of permagloss in this case. I did thicken the permagloss so it's really thicker than normal.

Mo

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: February 15, 2008 07:11PM

Why not put a coat of epoxy and be done with it?

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 15, 2008 07:18PM

That would've been my question. I guess I'd like to understand this approach for future reference.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Date: February 15, 2008 07:31PM

Because I've not used Epoxy for a loooooong time. i just grabbed what I had....:)

Mo

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.62.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2008 10:50PM

I would go with the epoxy as well. It will serve better over time. A 15-40# rod is actually light compared to the majority of rods I build.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: February 15, 2008 11:43PM

In comparison a thread finish is softer and well scratch. Permagloss is some what like a urethane bar finish. If it were me I would send Ralph OQuinn a email. Ralph designed and made the stuff. Ralph is a retired Boeing air craft chemist.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 16, 2008 12:57PM

Permagloss is stronger and tougher than epoxy.

The defining concept here, though, is the question 'enough?'.

The thread alone is plenty strong as far as fishing goes. The guides won't come off, regardless of how hard a big fish pulls.

Four coats will have soaked into and sealed the thread from the dangers of moisturer and added some amount of protection from abrasion.

Epoxy over it won't make it stronger, but it may make it prettier, and add a layer of abrasion resitance-sacrifice the softer and more easily repaired surface.....

More coats of permagloss won't add much as far as strength goes, but, again, it will certainly look nicer with a smooth wrap coating.

If the coating isn't 'smooth' then things can get in there, dirt, dust, fish slime, blood, and have little ridges and valleys to cling to.

4 coats of permagloss was never 'enough' for me, even on light freshwater fly rods, but I also wanted them 'pretty'.

Up to you, though. The rod is certainly fishable now.

Buddy

Date: February 17, 2008 04:32AM

Just back from a long day on the waters using the rod in question.

Well, the rod SNAPPED with about 10 lbs of actual drag. And one of the guides pulled out. (Fifth one out of eight including and counting from the tip). In truth, I'm very surprised. I think the rod snapped first and then the guide pulled out from the force because one of the titanium leg is quite bent. I am quite sure there was a weakened blank that was nicked by my careless handling.
Mo

Date: February 17, 2008 07:25AM

Did you high stck your rod while fighting your fish or while landing the fish.? How big big was the fish?
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 17, 2008 08:23AM

The down side of using Perma Gloss on salt water big stuff is procedural. Unless you understand how the stuff behaves it will be tough to use only Perma Gloss to get a satifacatory rod built. Example: Filling tunnels under large guides will not happen with application of Perma Gloss to the top of the thread wrap. Separate injections or droplets must be applied after initial thread coating to fill large tunnels. Numbr of coat logic will have to be resolved with line class in consideration. Instead of 2 - 4 conventional two part epoxy you may be dealing with 6 - 8 for Perma Gloss.

Date: February 17, 2008 12:40PM

Bob, It was a WHALE....:) Actually, nothing that glamorous. We were going rockcod and the leadweight/hook got snagged at the bottom. Definitely not high sticking - I'm extremely careful about that.

Yes, I did fill the tunnels using droplets. 4 thick coat using thicker permagloss. I'll be using 8 coats next time...:)

Mo

Date: February 17, 2008 02:06PM

Mo it still sounds like a high stick . Reeling down to the water and tring to break it off the bottom is about the same. How far down the blank did it break?
Good Wraps Bob

Date: February 18, 2008 02:04AM

Bob, my rod was not that severely bent and it was definitely about parallel to water surface while the line was going straight down vertically 260 feet down. (Courtesy of the fishfinder sonar.) I would not consider that high sticking but correct me if I'm wrong. I'm always willing to learn.
Broke 19 inches from the tip.

Mo

Date: February 18, 2008 02:58AM

MO How much of the rod broke? I still sounds like high sticking. Even if the rod is parallel with the water but the tip is bent down at lets say 90% that would still be considered high Sticking if you applied pressure and there was no give. I may also be wrong. Please someone else chime in.
Good Wraps Bob

Date: February 18, 2008 03:09AM

As above, Broke 19 inches from the tip.

Thanks for the comments - I had a spare with the identical blank so you can be sure I babied the remaining rod the rest of the trip.

Mo

Date: February 18, 2008 03:46AM

Was the break near the apex of the bend in the rod?
Good Wraps Bob

Date: February 18, 2008 01:39PM

That I don't know. The rod bent pretty evenly like a good moderately fast rod should. I tested it's twin using 10 lb dumbells and the flex was beautifully even half way down the rod.

I do think I made a mistake somewhere - just not highsticking but perhaps I did....:)

Mo

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: February 18, 2008 04:00PM

Bob, given your line of thought, I've been thinking. Basically, the rod broke next to and above the guide that pulled out through the wrap and Permagloss. IF the warp gave way first, then the break makes sense as the load is suddenly increased sharply. however, it is also possible that the break came first and the momentum of the lower half of the rod moving suddenly upward caused the wrap to fail. I can't determine the sequence of event.

OK, this is obviously OT so no need to respond. Just wanted to complete my observations. THANKS!

Mo

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster